Stocked with top draft picks Isan Diaz (2nd round, 2014), Marcus Wilson (2nd round, 2014) and top international prospect Jose Herrera ($1.06M, 2013), the AZL D-backs fought their way to an above-.500 record in the Arizona Rookie League. Not everyone lived up to expectations, but some exceeded them and others scuffled. As has been the case in previous …
It’s been a very eventful last few days, with news of the hirings of Dave Stewart and De Jon Watson leaking Thursday, their first press conference Friday, Kirk Gibson getting fired shortly before that press conference, the Diamondbacks locking up next year’s #1 overall pick… and despite the playoffs, plenty of people were paying attention to Arizona.
But first, a …
Last offseason, Arizona’s former general manager talked about how the team needed a slugger. The team subsequently traded for Mark Trumbo. Well, year one of the Mark Trumbo era was a failure from both an individual and team perspective. We all know about the D-backs’ struggles by now, and Trumbo, playing in only 87 games due to injury, produced …Continue Reading →
With the hirings of Dave Stewart as Vice President and General Manager and De Jon Watson as Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, the Arizona Diamondbacks haven’t just replaced Kevin Towers. Instead, if the new front office by committee approach ultimately works, they may have just created an alternative to the traditional front office set-up. Owner Ken Kendrick installed Tony …Continue Reading →
Call me crazy, but at the time that Arizona brought Cody Ross to the desert on a three-year, $26M deal, I thought it was a smart move for the club. I still do, as it’s only with the benefit of hindsight that the deal looks bad now. It doesn’t help that the deal was somewhat backloaded, but I believe it’s …Continue Reading →
With a record of 42-28, the Dominican Summer League (DSL) D-backs had a nice season. Top prospects Francis Martinez, Oswaldo Garcia and Luis Madero had varying degrees of success. While the DSL is broken up into several division and is host to 36 teams, there isn’t a ton of travel and teams face one another fairly often, distorting statistics, …Continue Reading →
D-backs hitters had themselves a day last night, and Jake Lamb was in the thick of it with a two hit performance. In fact, in the last thirty days, Lamb is second on the team in terms of creating runs with a wRC+ of 108. Only A.J. Pollock has bested Lamb by that metric, although with a .250 batting average, …Continue Reading →
The D-backs have lost six straight games, and that’s not even their longest losing streak this month. But the ugly four-game set in Colorado had a silver lining: the team leapfrogged the Rockies in the race to the bottom, and now lead in the sweepstakes for the first overall draft pick. Going into Thursday’s opener at Coors Field, the D-backs …Continue Reading →
The Diamondbacks’ starting rotation has the third-worst FIP in the National League. If you’ve been watching this season, you’re probably not surprised by this statistic. The starting rotation is sporting a 4.41 ERA collectively. Surely, it needs to be better than that in order for the team to regain relevance. It seems like drastic changes are needed.
Yet, by looking …Continue Reading →
Just over one year ago, a struggling Tony Sipp left the D-backs with no real left-handed option in the bullpen, prompting a trade for Joe Thatcher. Now, even with Thatcher gone, the D-backs appear to have several. It’s far from a sure thing that the D-backs will carry two lefties in their 2015 Opening Day bullpen, and unless the …Continue Reading →
The Pool ShotIt's finally here: the official Inside the 'Zona podcast, The Pool Shot. Episode 1 of the Pool Shot finds the guys talking preseason predictions, biggest 2014 surprises, and the front office shakeup.
- Top Draft Picks Headline AZL D-backs in 2014
- Roundup: Stewart, Watson Hired; Gibson Fired; and Introducing Our Podcast, The Pool Shot
- The Awkward Outfield(er)
- Can a Front Office By Committee Save the Diamondbacks?
- Cody Ross Could Actually Be Useful
- Polished Rookie Arm Madero Leads DSL D-Backs to Success
- Professional Hitter Jake Lamb Fitting His Way Into 4-Man, 3-Position Time Share
Powered by: Web Designers
- Roundup: lots of links on the new #Dbacks front office and the Gibson firing. Also, our new podcast, The Pool Shot! http://t.co/vSmxj7dzG5, 16 hours ago
- #Dbacks position player fWAR leaders: Goldy (4.3), Pollock (3.1), Inciarte (2.8), Chris Owings (1.8), Cliff Pennington (1.5!!!), 19 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Announcement: #ThePoolShot podcast is live at Inside the 'Zona: http://t.co/7wZHa9ir7O Episode 1 features #Dbacks front office talk and more, 20 hours ago
- The #Dbacks finished with only 2 hitters qualified for the batting title (502+ PA). Aaron Hill thus led the team in batting average: .244., 20 hours ago
- RT @DHuddy41: Thank you, @dbacks fans! Not the way we wanted this season to turn out, but we will be better from it! Thanks for sticking by us!, Sep 28
Fans Scouting ReportTom Tango does the rest of the analytics community a favor, by compiling fans' scouting reports for fielding. Do us a favor! Please consider grading D-backs fielders at Tango's site.