We all know the story from last year: after the Derek Jeter comparison, Didi Gregorius took the National League by storm, only to see his batting average drop each consecutive month for the rest of the season. But lost with his .182 batting average in September was this: he was actually an above-average hitter. It was just 40 plate appearances …
There’s always more than one way to accomplish a goal. Most often, we hear people asking if the Diamondbacks can get back to contention. The short answer is yes, but the real question isn’t if they can become contenders again, it’s how do they get there. As we all know, there are multiple routes to NL West competitiveness. We’ve weighed …
The Diamondbacks’ minor league system has generally been viewed as middle-of-the-pack. It’s not hard to see why; the team hasn’t had a ton of big names in recent years and has traded away most of the ones they did posses. Tyler Skaggs, Trevor Bauer, Adam Eaton and even Matt Davidson have been shipped away in the last few …Continue Reading →
It’s a slow week for a roundup, what with no real baseball for four days in the last week — in fact, the D-backs have not lost since last week’s edition! The team managed to win all three games of their series with the Cubs this last weekend, although there were as many good points as bad. Also worth noting: …Continue Reading →
Last week I wrote about trading Miguel Montero. Trading him would mean the Diamondbacks are heading towards a complete rebuild. Starting over is painful; it takes time and patience. Understandably, pulling the trigger on a complete rebuild is not easy.
Many people, including me, believe the Diamondbacks could be a playoff team with better starting pitching. The starters are …Continue Reading →
The Diamondbacks are in disarray. The starting pitching is a mess, and the bullpen is shaky. The team’s win-loss record reflects these issues. Meanwhile, the team’s payroll is the highest it has been in years. The horrid record and high payroll were not supposed to coincide. This situation begs for the D-backs to trade expensive, veteran players for young talent. …Continue Reading →
Baseball is game of numbers. And with the increased use of advanced statistics, or sabermetrics, there are more numbers now than ever. We can literally look at the game from many angles, without even having to change our seat in the stadium. Advanced statistics allow us to find the true story, or at least something close to the truth, about …Continue Reading →
Over the All-Star Break, while Braden Shipley was representing the Diamondbacks in the Futures Game, the team announced that right-hander Aaron Blair has been promoted to AA Mobile. Blair began his 2014 campaign in Single-A South Bend with the Silverhawks where he made six starts. His ERA was ugly due some shoddy work by the bullpen, but he was effective …Continue Reading →
It’s not that often that relievers like Brad Ziegler come along. Many teams have lefty relievers with low arm slots whose mission is to get lefty hitters out — but few have righty matchup guys, and fewer still have righty matchup guys who can generate ground balls at a rate even approaching Ziegler’s. This is, in large part, why we …Continue Reading →
You’ve probably already noticed this, but I’ll just throw it out there: the Diamondbacks aren’t hitting the ball hard. Sure, Paul Goldschmidt and some of his friends get into one from time to time, but comparatively across the league, Arizona is struggling to make hard, meaningful contact at the plate. Losing A.J. Pollock and Mark Trumbo doesn’t help the cause …Continue Reading →
- Didi Gregorius Doing Little to Change Trade Stock
- Re-framing the Question: Just How Bad Are The D-backs?
- Diamondbacks Midseason Top Prospects, Pt. I
- Roundup: Time for Eury De la Rosa to Go; Feasibility of a Full-Scale Rebuild
- Can Retooling Work?
- Why Trading Montero Makes Sense
- Evaluating the D-backs Starters Using Something Different
Powered by: Web Designers
- A.J. Pollock has had the more impressive breakout, but when all is said and done, David Peralta could be the best thing to come out of 2014., Jul 20
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: According to @DanHirsch, #Dbacks Wade Miley has never allowed a stolen base. True, he's a lefty, but still... #nobags, Jul 20
- RT @DHuddy41: “@azjazzyj: The @Dbacks are 1-0 in games after @DHuddy41 had a baby girl. #LuckyCharm” #mybad, Jul 19
- Pretty sure Ender Inciarte just made fun of Gerardo Parra's reaction to the fan on the field and pretty sure I like Ender Inciarte, Jul 19
- And that happened http://t.co/wHdG88z40u, Jul 19