While the Aces were largely an older ball club, they weren’t devoid of talent. Nick Ahmed, Andrew Chafin and the newly-acquired Zach Borenstein joined a group of veterans to lead Reno to the PCL Championship Series where they eventually lost to Omaha in five games. It was a fantastic season for Reno, one in which they scored a ton …
It was a tale of two seasons for the Mobile BayBears in 2014. They started the season with guys like Jake Lamb, David Peralta and Chase Anderson on the roster, but lost them to the majors as injuries decimated the Diamondbacks. In their wake came guys like Brandon Drury, Aaron Blair and Braden Shipley. There were plenty …
We broke down the hiring of Chip Hale on the just-released Episode 2 of The Pool Shot, our podcast, but Hale won’t be the only non-player in the dugout next season. It will be mostly familiar faces on Hale’s D-backs coaching staff next season, as Nick Piecoro reported last week. Double-A Mobile manager Andy Green will be the new …Continue Reading →
An unbelievable second half led the Visalia Rawhide to within one win of a California League title, as they ultimately lost game five of the championship series. Along the way, top pitching prospects Aaron Blair and Braden Shipley logged most of their innings with the Rawhide while promising third baseman Brandon Drury powered the offense. Surrounded by a strong supporting …Continue Reading →
The Diamondbacks went 64-98 this season. Not pretty. ZiPS projected them to finish around .500, with 22 wins above replacement coming from their starting position players. Let me put in perspective just how off base the projections were. A team full of replacement-level players is supposed to win 47.7 games in a full season. The Diamondbacks won 64 games, meaning …Continue Reading →
Kevin Towers came to the Diamondbacks with a sterling reputation as a bullpen builder. One of his first moves: trading Mark Reynolds and (later) John Hester to the Orioles for Kam Mickolio and David Hernandez. Looking at the deal in hindsight, it worked out well for the D-backs; Mickolio threw just 6.2 crappy innings for the team, but Hester …Continue Reading →
It’s impossible to know whether Chip Hale will be a very good manager. But in tapping him to replace Kirk Gibson, the D-backs front office seems to have made an excellent choice. It’s not like we know that as bench coach for the Athletics the last three years, Hale will bring some of that delicious A’s philosophy with him. …Continue Reading →
Inside the ‘Zona is a member organization of the Baseball Bloggers Alliance, and it’s award voting season. As one of just two sites in the Arizona Chapter, we get a vote on the full slate of NL awards. In the five categories, there are a total of 23 names on our ballots — but only one Diamondback. So let’s start …Continue Reading →
Only 9 catchers qualified for the batting title this year. Miguel Montero was one of them, but notwithstanding the fact that he actually led the D-backs in games played (136) and plate appearances (560) in 2014, the number of plate appearances tallied by the average backup catcher is not trivial. For a contending club, a backup catcher can make a …Continue Reading →
Patrick Corbin had an odd 2013; he was brilliant, and then very good, and then very bad. There’s a wide range of outcomes for what he may bring to the D-backs in 2015, and armed with pre-season projections and a ton of baseball history, there are reasons for optimism.
Corbin ended May of 2013 with ten starts in the bag, …Continue Reading →
The Pool ShotEpisode 2 of The Pool Shot: Chip Hale, shifting, optimal roster alignments for position players, and non-tender candidates.
- Nick Ahmed Shines for a Veteran Reno Aces Club in 2014
- Jake Lamb, Archie Bradley have different seasons for Double-A Mobile
- Roundup: Chip Hale’s Coaching Staff; NL West Changes
- Top Prospects Blair, Shipley and Drury Power Rawhide Success
- Position Players Gone Wrong: 2014 ZiPS Projections Versus Reality
- Should the D-backs Non-Tender David Hernandez?
- Roundup: Chip Hale Hired as Manager
Powered by: Web Designers
- I like and appreciate the Giants' cream-colored uniforms. Also, the cream is better than the alternative, the clear., 22 hours ago
- RT @thepoolshot: Episode 2 of #ThePoolShot has the guys talking Chip Hale, shifts, and the position player half of the roster: http://t.co/0s35nPKzWf #Dbacks, Oct 20
- Over the weekend, @OutfieldGrass24 and I recorded Ep 2 of The Pool Shot. Hale and roster alignment stuff. Check it! http://t.co/Hc5pRx9qGt, Oct 20
- Roundup is up: the #Dbacks coaching staff, changes in the NL West, and links from around the web: http://t.co/SVjag8waLu, Oct 20
- Is it just me, or does Henry Blanco look like the oldest guy on the D-backs staff? http://t.co/aWyOPbEwSJ, Oct 20
Fans Scouting ReportTom Tango does the rest of the analytics community a favor, by compiling fans' scouting reports for fielding. Do us a favor! Please consider grading D-backs fielders at Tango's site.