On Monday, the Diamondbacks beat the Giants 6-2 at Chase Field. The game was rare not just in that the D-backs won, but that it featured the top two pitch framing pitcher-catcher batteries in MLB this season. Using at least 1,000 “pitch framing chances” as defined by Baseball Prospectus, the tandem of Ryan Vogelsong and Buster Posey is tops in …
It’s early in the process of free agency. So early, in fact, that nothing concrete can really be done yet as the playoffs haven’t even started. Speculation is always in season, however, and now’s just as good a time as any to discuss who the Diamondbacks might pursue in free agency this winter.
Now, I’m not a fan of throwing …
As the first installment of the Inside the ‘Zona Minor League Seasons in Review feature, let’s take a look at the Missoula Osprey of the rookie level Frontier League. As you’ll see below, the team had some ups and downs, but also had some notable prospects, including Touki Toussaint, Justin Williams, Sergio Alcantara and others. Here’s a …Continue Reading →
With the minor league season officially ending yesterday (albeit with a Diamondbacks affiliate on the losing end of a championship-deciding game five), Inside the ‘Zona will be taking an in-depth look at each of the organization’s seven minor league affiliates. Through this process, we’ll discuss each team’s season, uncover the top prospects on each squad and showcase the notable performances …Continue Reading →
Last Wednesday, Nick Piecoro posted an excellent, excellent piece on where the D-backs are headed in terms of incorporating analytics into their baseball operations department. And as much as we’d like to reserve judgment on where the club is headed in building its new front office, it may be that the writing is already on the wall.
From Piecoro’s piece:…Continue Reading →
When (former!) GM Kevin Towers moved struggling starter Ian Kennedy before the trade deadline in 2013, he obtained a player that filled a need in a contending team’s bullpen: Joe Thatcher. But Matt Stites also came over in the trade to Arizona to even out the value in the trade, and so far, his 6.11 ERA in 28 innings …Continue Reading →
Venezuela was a key source of talent for the Diamondbacks not too long ago, with Miguel Montero, Gerardo Parra, and now Ender Inciarte coming up through the system after signing as amateurs (David Peralta has a different kind of story). More recently, the D-backs have wholly failed to make a strong push for international free agents. Consider …Continue Reading →
Ender Inciarte hit leadoff for the Diamondbacks last night. That’s probably not surprising because on the season, he’s hit in the leadoff spot 58 times. If you told me before the season that Ender Inciarte was going to be the team’s leadoff man for over a third of Arizona’s games, I’d have said you were crazy. Either that or the …Continue Reading →
As I’m sure you’re aware, Kevin Towers was fired last week. Then he wasn’t fired. In a somewhat confusing set of events, Towers was relieved of his GM duties, then offered a different position within the organization. So his firing may just be a demotion, or it might be a firing. Everyone’s confused, but then again, this is the Arizona …Continue Reading →
This is an urgent time for the Diamondbacks organization, which could be set on any kind of path within the next month or so. Yet, the club and Chief Baseball Officer Tony La Russa have been moving deliberately through the process—as well they should. When Jeff Wiser and I talked D-backs on Saturday, he used the word “pragmatic,” and that’s …Continue Reading →
Fans Scouting ReportTom Tango does the rest of the analytics community a favor, by compiling fans' scouting reports for fielding. Do us a favor! Please consider grading D-backs fielders at Tango's site.
- Montero and Miley: A Match Made in Pitch Framing Heaven
- D-backs Have Free Agent Options, Limited Flexibility in 2015
- Missoula Osprey: Season in Review
- Minor League Seasons in Review: a Brief Primer
- Roundup: D-backs Veering in Wrong Direction in GM Search?
- Command Lapses Could Rule Matt Stites Out for 2015 Bullpen
- D-backs Could Take a Run at Yasmani Tomas
Powered by: Web Designers
- The top pitch framers in baseball, by pitcher-catcher battery http://t.co/kEtPTBXQI0, 5 hours ago
- Nah let's go with Towers instead MT @BillShaikin Jerry Dipoto on #Angels future: "Hell on wheels moving forward:" http://t.co/8lsHN5z9o1, 6 hours ago
- RT @pizzacutter4: I command you to read: @dtrain_meyer digs into potential post-concussion hangover effects in baseball http://t.co/2Pec8VtdhF, 7 hours ago
- RT @SBNation: Matt Duffy's bats are decorated *exactly* as they should be: http://t.co/reEdpojG5C via @CSNBaggs http://t.co/oMvt5J4iL4, Sep 17
- RT @AlexPavlovic: Diamondbacks feed showed the guy in stands who caught Duffy's bat, he looked down at bat and clearly said: "Duffman!", 23 hours ago