Some of the most interesting questions about the Arizona Diamondbacks have answers, whether it’s through measuring performance on the field, understanding roster construction and organization rules, or comparing the team’s situation to those faced by others in the past.
The goal of Inside the ‘Zona is to provide knowable answers to questions of interest to Diamondbacks fans. If you have a question you might like us to look at, please drop one of us a line.
Ryan P. Morrison (@ryanpmorrison) is from Boston, and has followed the Diamondbacks since Luis Gonzalez blooped the late 90s Yankees dynasty into oblivion. He is an attorney representing whistleblowers under the False Claims Act; under that law, people with knowledge of fraud on the government can sue on the government’s behalf, receiving 15%-30% of any recovery. His principal interests lie in roster and organization construction, in-game strategy and player evaluation through the use of statistics. He is also a columnist at BP Boston and a writer at Beyond the Box Score. He likes to say he’s read baseball for two or more hours a day for the last 10-12 years, and that may even be true.
Jeff Wiser (@outfieldgrass24) is a native of Oregon and currently lives in Los Angeles by way or Seattle and Phoenix. Growing up a Mariners fan, he stumbled across USS Mariner, the original team-based advanced analytics blog, back in 2009 and was introduced to sabermetrics. The intrigue quickly became a passion for smarter baseball decisions. Jeff began reading Baseball Between the Numbers, The Book and many other works of baseball research as the quest for understanding. His interests include player development, the minor leagues, scouting, PITCHf/x and roster construction. He occasionally contributes to Beyond the Box Score and BeerGraphs.
We maintain @InsidetheZona on Twitter as a site account, as well as @thepoolshot, an account for our unexpectedly popular podcast, The Pool Shot (iTunes). Many thanks to S. Preston Designs for the excellent podcast logo.
- How the Diamondbacks Landed in Baseball’s Toughest Situation and Don’t Have a Clear Way Out
- 2017 Spring Previews: Filling Up the Outfield
- 2017 Spring Preview: All the (New) Catchers
- Archie Bradley, Taijuan Walker, and Four-Seam Fastballs
- 2017 Spring Preview: Fun and Uncertainty in the D-backs’ Infield
- 2017 Spring Preview: Starting Pitching Showcases Depth, Questions
- The D-backs Are Trapped With Tomas
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @nickpiecoro: Morning at Salt River Fields https://t.co/N7J4v8kgX6, Feb 20
- RT @ojcarrasco: The Pool Shot 64: @ryanpmorrison & @OutfieldGrass24 go to the mall, Ryan gets lost, Jeff gets a corn dog. https://t.co/fcl5Y66yHH, Feb 19
- RT @jcrasnick: How is former #Rangers 1B Prince Fielder dealing with retirement? He's hosting a cooking show. https://t.co/LaNJTrvmHP, Feb 10
- #AmericasFirstBaseman https://t.co/apnoVp5gzG, Jan 04
- But, he'd probably rather make $119M/4 years with LAA than not play in MLB ever again. https://t.co/xT9Ijajown, Jan 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- Haven't seen this view at sunrise in a long time @ Downtown Los Angeles https://t.co/PfWnnr0bJX, Feb 23
- FWIW, no MLB hitter in 2016 hit a ball 108mph and had it travel that far. Mark Reynolds (484) and Tom Murphy (482)… https://t.co/vCrnM7zb4N, Feb 23
- why is there no seagull dropping a chicken finger on Randall Delgado emoji thats the real question imo https://t.co/J5qNSchC37, Feb 23
- Damn this beer is still fabulous - Drinking a Citra Showers by @noblealeworks - https://t.co/6qAk5pmb5j, Feb 23
- RT @Notteham: Thanks to @OutfieldGrass24 for the interview, but thanks to @ReadOctober for the great illustration: https://t.co/j2DhskQ9Yu, Feb 22
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).