Some of the most interesting questions about the Arizona Diamondbacks have answers, whether it’s through measuring performance on the field, understanding roster construction and organization rules, or comparing the team’s situation to those faced by others in the past.
The goal of Inside the ‘Zona is to provide knowable answers to questions of interest to Diamondbacks fans. If you have a question you might like us to look at, please drop one of us a line.
Ryan P. Morrison (@ryanpmorrison) is from Boston, and has followed the Diamondbacks since Luis Gonzalez blooped the late 90s Yankees dynasty into oblivion. He is an attorney representing whistleblowers under the False Claims Act; under that law, people with knowledge of fraud on the government can sue on the government’s behalf, receiving 15%-30% of any recovery. His principal interests lie in roster and organization construction, in-game strategy and player evaluation through the use of statistics. He is also a columnist at BP Boston and a writer at Beyond the Box Score. He likes to say he’s read baseball for two or more hours a day for the last 10-12 years, and that may even be true.
Jeff Wiser (@outfieldgrass24) is a native of Oregon and currently lives in Los Angeles by way or Seattle and Phoenix. Growing up a Mariners fan, he stumbled across USS Mariner, the original team-based advanced analytics blog, back in 2009 and was introduced to sabermetrics. The intrigue quickly became a passion for smarter baseball decisions. Jeff began reading Baseball Between the Numbers, The Book and many other works of baseball research as the quest for understanding. His interests include player development, the minor leagues, scouting, PITCHf/x and roster construction. He occasionally contributes to Beyond the Box Score and BeerGraphs.
We maintain @InsidetheZona on Twitter as a site account, as well as @thepoolshot, an account for our unexpectedly popular podcast, The Pool Shot (iTunes). Many thanks to S. Preston Designs for the excellent podcast logo.
- Diamondbacks 2018 Draft Thoughts
- Baseball Prospectus is Coming to Chase Field — Join Us!
- Ketel Marte Wins, Diamondbacks Win, Baseball Maybe Doesn’t
- New Ventures and Familiar Places
- How Big is the Souza/Martinez Gap with a Humidor Installed?
- Doubting Tomás: The Trouble with Finding Yasmany Playing Time
- D-backs Miss Martinez, Add Souza and Stay Flexible
Powered by: Web Designers
- Best part of Peralta’s 108 mph fliner over the fence, IMHO: that he got that much leverage despite scooping it out… https://t.co/ivBrl76adF, Apr 08
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If you're bored of watching Patrick Corbin get dudes out, you can check out my latest for @TheAthleticAZ. https://t.co/k1DymgY7zO, Apr 04
- Of course, they may have overtaken the league lead for outs on the bases just now, also... But in 2017, Arizona ha… https://t.co/38MBrr2D4b, Apr 04
- Prior to the games today, there had only been 5 steals of 3rd this season (and no CS) in the National League. The… https://t.co/gVVL84vPQ5, Apr 04
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Patrick Corbin has a WPA of .318 and it's only the fifth inning., Apr 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @vinnielongopbp: RHP Randall Delgado strikes out a pair and works around a lead-off single in a rehab appearance for #GenerationDbacks., 31 mins ago
- RT @jacobgrier: The Portland airport bathroom is great for when you want to sample an artisanal, hand-selected flight of air dryers. https://t.co/vJZiobkuwI, 23 hours ago
- Madison Bumlincecum, 2 hours ago
- RT @HillsboroHops: We’ll be making a major announcement regarding our community engagement efforts tomorrow at 11:30 AM. We’ll be stre… https://t.co/CXshxRtgw5, 4 hours ago
- I (quickly) wrote up my #Dbacks draft thoughts after ten rounds. In short, it's not the most exciting group, but it… https://t.co/yHR2kDXRKP, 2 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).