For a very, very long time, we’ve talked about how the Diamondbacks have a vortex coming. It’s a financial vortex and one that’s not necessarily unique. The way the D-backs are constructed, they rely on young players producing value that far outpaces the team’s financial commitment in terms of salary. That means guys making the league minimum or advancing through …Continue Reading →
The last two posts here have focussed on extending Diamondbacks first baseman, Paul Goldschmidt. The first installment crunched the numbers to seek a reasonable figure, for both Goldy and the team, to keep the slugger in Arizona past 2019. The second installment discussed the problems with even a relatively team-friendly deal, notably paying a sum of money annually to …Continue Reading →
The #hotstove has been downright frigid for most of the winter. The Winter Meetings did kick up some activity, but not the heavy-hitting kind. J.D. Martinez is still out there. So are Yu Darvish, Jake Arrieta and Lance Lynn. A trio of former Royals remain on the market in Mike Moustakas, Lorenzo Cain and Eric Hosmer, …Continue Reading →
It’s early in the process of free agency. So early, in fact, that nothing concrete can really be done yet as the playoffs haven’t even started. Speculation is always in season, however, and now’s just as good a time as any to discuss who the Diamondbacks might pursue in free agency this winter.
Now, I’m not a fan of throwing …Continue Reading →
- Diamondbacks 2018 Draft Thoughts
- Baseball Prospectus is Coming to Chase Field — Join Us!
- Ketel Marte Wins, Diamondbacks Win, Baseball Maybe Doesn’t
- New Ventures and Familiar Places
- How Big is the Souza/Martinez Gap with a Humidor Installed?
- Doubting Tomás: The Trouble with Finding Yasmany Playing Time
- D-backs Miss Martinez, Add Souza and Stay Flexible
Powered by: Web Designers
- Best part of Peralta’s 108 mph fliner over the fence, IMHO: that he got that much leverage despite scooping it out… https://t.co/ivBrl76adF, Apr 08
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If you're bored of watching Patrick Corbin get dudes out, you can check out my latest for @TheAthleticAZ. https://t.co/k1DymgY7zO, Apr 04
- Of course, they may have overtaken the league lead for outs on the bases just now, also... But in 2017, Arizona ha… https://t.co/38MBrr2D4b, Apr 04
- Prior to the games today, there had only been 5 steals of 3rd this season (and no CS) in the National League. The… https://t.co/gVVL84vPQ5, Apr 04
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Patrick Corbin has a WPA of .318 and it's only the fifth inning., Apr 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- Another day, another fire put out at Coors Field by Silvino Bracho, 4 hours ago
- RT @JesseNFriedman: Pitch #1 to Trevor Story was virtually right down the middle, but Godley did not get the strike call. https://t.co/Y85aHXko9h, 6 hours ago
- RT @SteveGilbertMLB: #Rockies plunk Goldschmidt with a pitch in the ninth. I think that's the maddest I've ever seen him on a baseball f… https://t.co/bCMajSjq1D, 23 hours ago
- RT @ZHBuchanan: Paul Goldschmidt was just hit by a Brooks Pounders pitch and turned to say something to Tony Wolters about it., 23 hours ago
- I'm glad I got that Daniel-Descalso-carrying-the-offense article written last week because it looks like Paul Golds… https://t.co/TczoQG8wfu, Jun 10
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).