Since the last roundup, the D-backs have gone 4-3, with a split against the Dodgers and a series win against the Rockies. Arizona dropped in the ESPN Power Rankings, but only one spot. Pretty good week, right?
Wrong. Winning 2 games against the Dodgers was just good enough to push their NL West title to Thursday, when LA fought back from a 6-3 deficit to win 7-6. As written here on Friday, despite a request from the Arizona organization that the Dodgers not come back out to the field after moving their celebration to the visitors’ clubhouse, the team ran out, scaled the wall, and threw themselves a pool party (as the D-backs lifeguards looked on).
Opinions differed throughout the sport on Friday — some criticizing the Dodgers, some criticizing those who criticized the Dodgers. Personally, I do think it was a little disrespectful, and I doubt very much that the thought was spontaneous for all of the Dodgers involved. I don’t really think the pool party was thrown specifically to offend, but I do think it happened specifically in spite of how Arizona players and fans might feel. It’s a good thing for Arizona to be noticed by the nation overall, though, and the Australia games get a little extra oomph from the whole fiasco. Maybe the D-backs will play next season with a chip on their shoulders.
From around the internets:
- Nick Piecoro’s recap of the pool ordeal includes some quotes from Kirk Gibson and Kevin Towers.
- Dan Bickley thought the Dodgers showed that they’re idiots.
- ESPN’s Buster Olney suggested that the pool celebration was just a celebration.
- At SweetSpot, David Schoenfield suggested we all lighten up. I agree that on-field flair and shenanigans are part of what makes major league baseball entertaining; but maybe griping about it also makes it entertaining?
- Jim McLennan kicked off a discussion of the pool fiasco at AZ Snake Pit.
- Thomas Lynch of Venom Strikes also detailed how “petty” D-backs were upset about the pool party. At the same site, Christian Moffett insists that what the Dodgers did was “respecting the D’backs in the most disrespectful and nit-picky way,” as they technically celebrated in the pool, not on the field. If we’re getting technical, they did use the field to get to the pool…
- At SB Nation, Grant Brisbee weighed whether the Dodgers broke any unwritten rules.
There were even a few things written in the last week that weren’t about the pool fiasco, if you’re into that sort of thing:
- Nick Piecoro wrote about Trevor Cahill, his command struggles, and his tendency toward giving up the big inning. Interesting read, and I’d hazard that if Cahill did take that step forward next year, the team would only need one or two other things to break in its favor to go from middle of the road to playoff contender.
- Piecoro also broke down the Tyler Skaggs situation from the team’s perspective. An important read for D-backs fans.
- 2017 Diamondbacks Top Prospects: #21-31
- Prospect Season is Upon Us Once More
- New GM Mike Hazen Raises Hopes and Expectations
- How Much Money Do the D-backs Have To Spend This Winter?
- Bringing Back Daniel Hudson Has Its Risks
- The D-backs Rotation, Playoff Rotations, and Depth
- Front Office Turnover: Hyper-Traditional Tools Fail in Extra-Traditional Conditions
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @joshrawitch: Internships have posted in our department & several others. Will only be open for a couple weeks so spread the word https://t.co/N0s7OU30JC, Oct 07
- And to think, Trevor Bauer was almost the next Derek Jeter, Oct 07
- RT @dshemie8: Oh man, this call from the French broadcast on Upton's home run is so amazing.(Yes, he calls Shin-Soo Choo "Choo Ch… https://t.co/6cWeN9cLgB, Oct 06
- RT @Dbacks: Congrats to @JakeLamb18, the #Dbacks nominee for the 2016 Hank Aaron Award! RT to #VoteLamb:… https://t.co/bzETF67AQa, Oct 06
- RT @emmabaccellieri: Wrote a little about the philosophy of what we talk about when we talk about positions. https://t.co/81EZaRu4WY, Oct 06
Powered by: Web Designers
- Mos def dank - Drinking a Dank IPA by @PfriemBeer - https://t.co/wBwb3advFR, 3 mins ago
- RT @AndyTheG: Another smart hire. Next step: Manager. Have to think Hazen and Sawdaye would want Torey Lovullo, would be surprise… https://t.co/pDKHCh3giA, 1 hour ago
- RT @Dbacks: Sawdaye spent the past 15 seasons with the Red Sox, most recently as Vice President, Amateur and International Scouting., 1 hour ago
- RT @Dbacks: OFFICIAL: The #Dbacks name Amiel Sawdaye as Senior Vice President and Assistant General Manager., 1 hour ago
- Just what you need when you're a young, struggling team. https://t.co/aXGrdQt5Eh, 2 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).