Since the last roundup, the D-backs have gone 4-3, with a split against the Dodgers and a series win against the Rockies. Arizona dropped in the ESPN Power Rankings, but only one spot. Pretty good week, right?
Wrong. Winning 2 games against the Dodgers was just good enough to push their NL West title to Thursday, when LA fought back from a 6-3 deficit to win 7-6. As written here on Friday, despite a request from the Arizona organization that the Dodgers not come back out to the field after moving their celebration to the visitors’ clubhouse, the team ran out, scaled the wall, and threw themselves a pool party (as the D-backs lifeguards looked on).
Opinions differed throughout the sport on Friday — some criticizing the Dodgers, some criticizing those who criticized the Dodgers. Personally, I do think it was a little disrespectful, and I doubt very much that the thought was spontaneous for all of the Dodgers involved. I don’t really think the pool party was thrown specifically to offend, but I do think it happened specifically in spite of how Arizona players and fans might feel. It’s a good thing for Arizona to be noticed by the nation overall, though, and the Australia games get a little extra oomph from the whole fiasco. Maybe the D-backs will play next season with a chip on their shoulders.
From around the internets:
- Nick Piecoro’s recap of the pool ordeal includes some quotes from Kirk Gibson and Kevin Towers.
- Dan Bickley thought the Dodgers showed that they’re idiots.
- ESPN’s Buster Olney suggested that the pool celebration was just a celebration.
- At SweetSpot, David Schoenfield suggested we all lighten up. I agree that on-field flair and shenanigans are part of what makes major league baseball entertaining; but maybe griping about it also makes it entertaining?
- Jim McLennan kicked off a discussion of the pool fiasco at AZ Snake Pit.
- Thomas Lynch of Venom Strikes also detailed how “petty” D-backs were upset about the pool party. At the same site, Christian Moffett insists that what the Dodgers did was “respecting the D’backs in the most disrespectful and nit-picky way,” as they technically celebrated in the pool, not on the field. If we’re getting technical, they did use the field to get to the pool…
- At SB Nation, Grant Brisbee weighed whether the Dodgers broke any unwritten rules.
There were even a few things written in the last week that weren’t about the pool fiasco, if you’re into that sort of thing:
- Nick Piecoro wrote about Trevor Cahill, his command struggles, and his tendency toward giving up the big inning. Interesting read, and I’d hazard that if Cahill did take that step forward next year, the team would only need one or two other things to break in its favor to go from middle of the road to playoff contender.
- Piecoro also broke down the Tyler Skaggs situation from the team’s perspective. An important read for D-backs fans.
Powered by: Web Designers
- Best part of Peralta’s 108 mph fliner over the fence, IMHO: that he got that much leverage despite scooping it out… https://t.co/ivBrl76adF, Apr 08
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If you're bored of watching Patrick Corbin get dudes out, you can check out my latest for @TheAthleticAZ. https://t.co/k1DymgY7zO, Apr 04
- Of course, they may have overtaken the league lead for outs on the bases just now, also... But in 2017, Arizona ha… https://t.co/38MBrr2D4b, Apr 04
- Prior to the games today, there had only been 5 steals of 3rd this season (and no CS) in the National League. The… https://t.co/gVVL84vPQ5, Apr 04
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Patrick Corbin has a WPA of .318 and it's only the fifth inning., Apr 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- This Suns matchup comes at a good time for my hometown Blazers #RipCity https://t.co/fQ45wdfQUk, 3 hours ago
- RT @ZHBuchanan: Our @Ken_Rosenthal spoke to Ken Kendrick about trading Paul Goldschmidt. https://t.co/O5fHRlyBxD, 9 hours ago
- RT @CardsNation247: We have a good show lined up for tonight. Leading off is our friend of the show @buffa82 followed by Jeff Wiser… https://t.co/eltZC0uvyg, 9 hours ago
- RT @juanctoribio: To piggyback off the @ZHBuchanan and @OutfieldGrass24 that the #Rays were involved in the Paul Goldschmidt sweepsta… https://t.co/spg9x7X1L5, 10 hours ago
- RT @OJCarrascoTwo: Read this from the world famous, @OutfieldGrass24 https://t.co/cHUie1I5Le, 10 hours ago