When the Diamondbacks traded for J.D. Martinez, they attempted to shore up a few issues. First and foremost, he provided depth to a depleted outfield. Yasmany Tomas has suffered yet another setback in his attempt to get back to action and it’s looking more and more like he won’t return this season. Gregor Blanco is a league average hitter against right-handed pitchers, but he’s not someone you want starting everyday. A.J. Pollock has dealt with his injury issues and David Peralta‘s missed time for one reason or another, so adding Martinez to the mix helped provide Torrey Lovullo with another option.
That option was tailored, of course. Throughout his career, Martinez has always hit left-handed pitchers well, something the Diamondbacks have not done as a team this season. Of his 21 hits in a D-backs uniform, only five have been hit off of lefties (two singles, two doubles and a homer). Martinez also helped lengthen the Diamondbacks’ lineup, pushing guys like Brandon Drury and Chris Owings, before his injury, further down the order. That’s helped create more opportunities and take them away from guys like Rey Fuentes, even if we’re still seeing plenty of Chris Herrmann.
And as for his time with D-backs, well, it’s a bit of a mixed bag for Martinez. Take a look at the triple-slash figures for him over the last three years, with 2017 split between his time in Detroit and Arizona.
Martinez is sporting the lowest batting average we’ve seen in quite some time from him, harkening back to his counterproductive days as a 24-year old with the Astros. But as you’re well aware, batting average isn’t everything. His on-base percentage remains solid and his power output has been outstanding. Nearly 40% of his hits in Sedona Red have been home runs.
Truth be told, Martinez has never posted such a prolific rate of home runs. While he hasn’t collected as many singles or doubles during his short Arizona stint, he’s making the hits count by putting the ball out of the park. His strikeout rate has spiked slightly, but he’s walking more than ever to balance the K’s out. According to Baseball Reference, he’s been worth nearly half a win so far for the D-backs in just 35 games.
J.D. Martinez has been an upgrade for the Diamondbacks. That said, it’s been a bit of a feast-or-famine proposition. This is a small sample to be sure, so drawing hard conclusions isn’t in the cards just yet. With 41 games still to play, there’s another quarter of a season for Martinez’s line with the D-backs to even out some. His .260 BABIP is well below his .340 career average (thanks in part to those home runs, which don’t count) and sooner or later, the other hits will start to fall in. Even if it hasn’t always felt like it, he’s been a boost.
- Work In Progress: Jimmie Sherfy’s Path to the Majors
- Finding the Cash to Keep J.D. Martinez Won’t Be Easy
- With Playoffs Looming, Ray and Kershaw Won’t Disappoint
- 2017 Diamondbacks AFL Preview
- The Fickle Nature of Bullpens
- Lineout: J.D. Martinez Is Making Them Count
- Ketel’s New (Old) Trick: Getting On Base
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @BaseballAmerica: Pavin Smith, Marcus Wilson, Daulton Varsho, Andy Yerzy, Matt Tabor, Joey Rose...#Dbacks instructs roster is stacked. https://t.co/DotGOWG8O1, 5 hours ago
- Pretty sure all of these numbers got better today. https://t.co/he4oH7rFNr, 5 hours ago
- #Dbacks rookie reliever Jimmie Sherfy has undergone major changes on his way to majors. They're finally paying off. https://t.co/ZAxvKbHxuU, 5 hours ago
- Jimmie Sherfy has had to make major changes to his delivery along his journey to the majors. #Dbacks https://t.co/ZTUYgYT41o, 5 hours ago
- With all the Just Dingers love, it's been easy to miss the fact that Jake Lamb has cooled in the second half yet again. 83 wRC+ since AS brk, 7 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).