It’s been a crushing seven days for the D-backs. After dropping the first two of the home games against Toronto to finish off interleague play, Arizona split a four-game set in San Francisco — nearly getting victimized by a perfect game along the way. If there’s a silver lining, it’s that the team’s pitching has fared very well; Wade Miley bounced back from a terrible start on Tuesday to throw 7 innings of 2-run ball on Sunday, Brandon McCarthy twirled two gems, and Trevor Cahill contributed an excellent performance by relying on his sinker. Patrick Corbin also got in on the action in a big way, bouncing back for an overshadowed start on Friday.
The thunderstorm is the offense. Since the August 27 outburst, the D-backs have scored only 24 runs in 11 games, which is pretty horrendous. The offensive slowdown was never so obvious as it was on Friday, when former Arizona castoff had a perfect game going until Eric Chavez lined a single with two down in the ninth.
Meanwhile, the chances of reaching the playoffs have completely slipped away in the last week. In both of its projection formats, FanGraphs has the Arizona playoff odds at well under 1%, and even a 7 game sweep of the Dodgers would do little to change that.
It’s still of interest to see what we have, of course.
- At the main SweetSpot blog on ESPN.com, Matt Meyers put Yusmeiro Petit’s near-perfect performance into perspective (highly recommended).
- Also on ESPN, the team of Buster Olney, Jim Bowden and Keith Law ranked all 30 organizations in five categories, taking into account strength in minors, on-field performance, etc. I’m not in the habit of spoiling Insider content, but let’s just say: Arizona is in the middle of the pack. I had a Twitter conversation recently about whether we’d be better off with Houston’s player assets than our own, and these organizational power rankings are great for putting that type of thing into perspective.
- If you missed Sunday’s excruciating game, check out my guest recap at AZ Snakepit. Also check out Jim McLennan’s recent work, including a look at Martin Prado’s Player of the Month performance in August and his recap of the near-perfect game.
- Don’t miss the recent work at AZ Central, including this look at Patrick Corbin’s innings, Dan Bickley’s examination of Kirk Gibson, and Nick Piecoro’s excellent notebooks on McCarthy’s turnaround and Gerardo Parra’s defense.
- Thomas Lynch at Venom Strikes explained why he rooted for Yusmeiro Petit to finish off the perfect game attempt — at least for a while.
- Fan of anagrams? Well, then, it’s too bad you’re a Diamondbacks fan. Allow William Juliano to explain over at Captain’s Blog.
Midseason Top 10 Prospects
It's here: the Inside the 'Zona Midseason Top 10 Prospects List, including recent trade additions and 2015 draftees.
- D-backs’ 2015 Draft: Not Altogether a Success
- Zack Godley’s First Impression
- Roundup: Hellickson Becoming Intriguing Trade Target; Backing Up First Base; Retaliation Rules of Engagement
- Chatting with Mauricio Rubio on the D-backs Midseason Top 10
- Raking Jamie Romak Could Fit Into Impending Roster Puzzle
- The Diamondbacks Midseason Top 10 Prospects
- The Dan Warthen Slider Could Be the Missing Piece for Robbie Ray
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @AndyJ0seph: Former #Dbacks pitcher Trevor Bauer let Royals fans know that being in last place is ok because he is rich. http://t.co/QTcBipJuAH, 4 hours ago
- Clean play and it's not funny at all, but if Trumbo just managed to rob Inciarte of more playing time AGAIN *<^}>\%¥! http://t.co/nlbZRhrr2O, 5 hours ago
- Maybe for Trumbo, it's just an issue playing in D-backs games?, 5 hours ago
- RT @Al_SportsLover: Troy Tulowitzki and Jeff Hoffman are actually the same person. #BlueJays #rockies #mlb #MLBTradeDeadline http://t.co/GQ5RukglVx, Jul 28
- Why has no one told me that Brad Miller looks so much like Mark Trumbo? http://t.co/cRVkTqV9oO, 5 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @shannondrayer: Pollock gets the first stolen base off Iwakuma since Sept. 25 2013., 7 hours ago
- #HUGWATCH??? Nah, I'm just clownin' https://t.co/dnKLWO8a6z, 7 hours ago
- Not Luigi. Damn. https://t.co/brUGQYb4vm, 10 hours ago
- RT @Every6thDay: "Just keep doing that. Don't slow down," Ruben said. https://t.co/Jr5m0hnVF9, 12 hours ago
- SPEECHLESS https://t.co/CFiobghl7p, 13 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).