It’s been a crushing seven days for the D-backs. After dropping the first two of the home games against Toronto to finish off interleague play, Arizona split a four-game set in San Francisco — nearly getting victimized by a perfect game along the way. If there’s a silver lining, it’s that the team’s pitching has fared very well; Wade Miley bounced back from a terrible start on Tuesday to throw 7 innings of 2-run ball on Sunday, Brandon McCarthy twirled two gems, and Trevor Cahill contributed an excellent performance by relying on his sinker. Patrick Corbin also got in on the action in a big way, bouncing back for an overshadowed start on Friday.
The thunderstorm is the offense. Since the August 27 outburst, the D-backs have scored only 24 runs in 11 games, which is pretty horrendous. The offensive slowdown was never so obvious as it was on Friday, when former Arizona castoff had a perfect game going until Eric Chavez lined a single with two down in the ninth.
Meanwhile, the chances of reaching the playoffs have completely slipped away in the last week. In both of its projection formats, FanGraphs has the Arizona playoff odds at well under 1%, and even a 7 game sweep of the Dodgers would do little to change that.
It’s still of interest to see what we have, of course.
- At the main SweetSpot blog on ESPN.com, Matt Meyers put Yusmeiro Petit’s near-perfect performance into perspective (highly recommended).
- Also on ESPN, the team of Buster Olney, Jim Bowden and Keith Law ranked all 30 organizations in five categories, taking into account strength in minors, on-field performance, etc. I’m not in the habit of spoiling Insider content, but let’s just say: Arizona is in the middle of the pack. I had a Twitter conversation recently about whether we’d be better off with Houston’s player assets than our own, and these organizational power rankings are great for putting that type of thing into perspective.
- If you missed Sunday’s excruciating game, check out my guest recap at AZ Snakepit. Also check out Jim McLennan’s recent work, including a look at Martin Prado’s Player of the Month performance in August and his recap of the near-perfect game.
- Don’t miss the recent work at AZ Central, including this look at Patrick Corbin’s innings, Dan Bickley’s examination of Kirk Gibson, and Nick Piecoro’s excellent notebooks on McCarthy’s turnaround and Gerardo Parra’s defense.
- Thomas Lynch at Venom Strikes explained why he rooted for Yusmeiro Petit to finish off the perfect game attempt — at least for a while.
- Fan of anagrams? Well, then, it’s too bad you’re a Diamondbacks fan. Allow William Juliano to explain over at Captain’s Blog.
- Pitching Inside
- A Grand D-backs Experiment, Pt. I
- Roundup: Rules Against Shifts Could Hurt the D-backs
- Arbitration Strategy: D-backs Should Settle with Trumbo, Must Take Reed to Trial
- Projection Peek: D-backs Pitchers in 2015
- Payroll Puzzle Complicated by Yoan Lopez Signing: Are the D-backs Done?
- Projection Peek: D-backs Position Players in 2015
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: A Grand #Dbacks Experiment is about to commence: http://t.co/aT0dWBc2wy, Jan 27
- Maybe we should have known this was coming? #Juno #Blizzardof2015 #Snowmageddon2015 http://t.co/foWVGi8aAw, Jan 26
- RT @longballgirl: Anyone looking for a house to rent in March?! Weekly or for the month! Fountain Hills, 15 min to SRF, 25 to Cubs/Giants/A's. Please RT! Thx!, Jan 26
- Roundup is up: some notes on whether shift rules would hurt the D-backs, links from around the web http://t.co/hK5biCbxBy, Jan 26
- Welp http://t.co/ywL9u3A7W4, Jan 26
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @SDI20Grade: If you haven't listened to our most recent episode, I suggest you do so. And then the other 12., 4 hours ago
- Night palms http://t.co/Sp8s1Zlh1z, 4 hours ago
- ICYMI, yesterday I released the first half of The Grand #Dbacks Experiment: http://t.co/aT0dWBc2wy Part two coming tomorrow morning!, 5 hours ago
- RT @BenBadler: Here you go. OFAC licensing boss says they still grant specific licenses. MLB policy still the delay for Yoan Moncada http://t.co/ep13sWqe43, 6 hours ago
- Don't like the idea of making RP face multiple batters. Don't take away from the strategy of the game. Make transitions faster first., 6 hours ago