A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
The Pool ShotEpisode 37 of The Pool Shot: The guys talk about no-win situations and, on a completely unrelated note, the D-backs rotation. The surprising move of Randall Delgado to the rotation in lieu of an Aaron Blair promotion, sizing up the team's internal options for next year, and working through the ways in which the rotation can be upgraded. Subscribe on iTunes!
Midseason Top 10 Prospects
It's here: the Inside the 'Zona Midseason Top 10 Prospects List, including recent trade additions and 2015 draftees.
- Diminished Plate Discipline is Undoing Nick Ahmed
- As Hitters Figure Out Daniel Hudson, a Challenging Puzzle Looms
- Reed Traded; the Kevin Towers Closer Era Ends
- Roundup: Coming Around on Saltalamacchia; David Peralta Getting Noticed; Goldy Something Else
- D-backs Changing Robbie Ray for the Worse
- Westbrook, Diaz and Others Gaining Momentum in the Minors
- Jake Lamb Should be Playing Against (Some) Lefties
Powered by: Web Designers
- Yeah, that's right: I'm quoting myself. https://t.co/ID790Xzd9l, 14 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: You just witnessed the end of Keith Hessler's major league career. Tragic. These things are so fragile., 16 hours ago
- Said the British 245 years ago ;) https://t.co/X24Z1zpVgV, 19 hours ago
- RT @EdwardFShore: @ryanpmorrison ...and after TWO Tommy John surgeries. Seriously. We don't talk enough about how remarkable that is. @DHuddy41 is a dude., Sep 02
- Daniel Hudson's "100 mph fastball" in Game 1 was tracked by PITCHf/x at 99.6 mph, rounded up. Still -- fastest tracked pitch of his career., Sep 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @AlexSkillin: Today at @BProBoston, I spoke with @RA_Parker about the swing changes that have helped Xander Bogaerts thrive in 2015 http://t.co/uyN9qAHiCu, 12 mins ago
- RT @LookoutLanding: Franklin Gutierrez's august August http://t.co/i7iCoDsSXt http://t.co/TeUpo4PWX4, 2 hours ago
- Welcome to Los Angeles, where you might beg to go back to Rancho. Okay, it's not *that* bad, but close. https://t.co/QOipzMIiUq, 3 hours ago
- RT @CJWittJr: First piece via @BleacherReport http://t.co/uEyio3j9GJ, 4 hours ago
- RT @RenoAces_PR: Final line for @Aces right-hander @ArchieBradley7: 7 IP, 7H, 2R, 2ER, 0BB, 7K. 95 pitches and 68 strikes for Archie in a no-decision., 15 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).