A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
- Breaking Down Braden Shipley’s Debut
- Who’s to Blame: Fire Chip Hale or Look To the Top?
- Home, run! History in the Making at Chase Field
- Is Jake Barrett Really This Good?
- Historic Strikeouts Plaguing the D-backs Offense
- What Makes a Good D-backs Reliever?
- Trading Zack Greinke and Shelby Miller is Not In the Cards
Powered by: Web Designers
- Reminder: hiring Tony La Russa as Chief Baseball Officer meant hiring someone that, realistically, the #Dbacks could never fire., Jul 22
- Agree with @OnBaseUnit. Maybe it would have worked elsewhere, but: a fundamental misunderstanding of Chase, NL West. https://t.co/frGmdM5egG, Jul 22
- RT @OnBaseUnit: The Diamondbacks have a .327 W-L% at home and a .535 W-L% on the road. That is the worst gap between home v. road W-L% in MLB history., Jul 21
- Weirdly, every pitcher who has excelled for the D-backs for long fits in 1 of 3 categories... https://t.co/yTNexDxu8P, Jul 19
- These kinds of bullpen struggles are not new for the #Dbacks, but having no more Ziegler vacations from them is gonna get old pretty quick., Jul 17
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @JeffLongBP: Also, @baseballpro released e-mags on Griffey and Piazza today. What I wrote on Griffey is one of my favorite things I've ever written., 13 mins ago
- #Dbacks will be represented in Pioneer League AS game by C Ryan January, SS Jazz Chisholm, P's Connor Grey and Dean Jackson. #DbacksMinors, 13 mins ago
- RT @Chris_Gabel: A.J. Pollock taking flips in the cage at SRF. Later, will take BP on the field for the first time in his rehab. https://t.co/zI794xDdT6, 2 hours ago
- RT @prestonthomas31: When @HillsboroHops 1B Justin Chigbogu met Timbers midfielder Jack Jewsbury, his first question was, "So you're pretty good at Fifa, right?", 3 hours ago
- OF Stephen Smith went 3-4 last night for @HillsboroHops, including his first pro HR. Hitting .424/.525/.576 in first 10 Gs. #DbacksMinors, 3 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).