A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
The Pool ShotEpisode 20 of The Pool Shot: The guys talk about Sam Miller's piece identifying the D-backs' "Moneyball" strategy and Dave Cameron's piece about why he also thinks the D-backs are different, before setting their preferred 25-man roster to start the season. In so doing, they make use of Twitter questions from @bgrosnick (upside or reliability for bench), @EdwardFShore (whether Archie Bradley is first in line if a starter struggles), and @IvoryTiger (whether Goldy's slow start is concerning). They also have a blast discussing a question from @Ascend_Descend about which pitcher and which "plus" pitch they would add to a D-backs pitcher's repertoire if they were omnipotent. Subscribe on iTunes!
- Fireballs Shooting Out of Right Hand of Enrique Burgos
- Real D-backs Defensive Shifts, Really
- Andrew Chafin Leading Race to Be Only Real Bullpen Lefty
- Spring Notes from D-backs Minor League Camp
- Roundup: Roster in Focus; Tomas Contract Discussions; Six Man Rotation?
- Robbie Ray’s New Breaking Pitch Much Different, Much More Consistent
- Working the Count: Forget About It (And Don’t Feel Guilty)
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Was asked which #Dbacks P I would give a plus pitch to and what the pitch would be. Answer: Mark Trumbo, knuckleball. Think about it., 2 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: #MexicosFirstBaseman http://t.co/sJyZ0ieGIH, 23 hours ago
- RT @thepoolshot: Episode 20: #Dbacks "Moneyball," Setting the 25-Man Roster, Who Would Benefit from an Added Plus Pitch? http://t.co/XGWWEEZzFo, Mar 29
- RT @longballgirl: Saturday S/O to my favorite media friends @Cap_Kaveman @Cu_As @moose_tography @InsidetheZona @OutfieldGrass24 @BerniePleskoff @Boomskie #thx, Mar 28
- Quantifying the Enrique Burgos breakout: http://t.co/7YzLtpv1AM, Mar 28
Powered by: Web Designers
- Trades are good, 32 mins ago
- RT @Troybuquerque: So The #Dbacks still have LOWER LEVEL tickets on sale for opening day. Different kind of town., 1 hour ago
- Is Vince J related to Jessie J? RT @HantenJeff: Who wore it best? (Angels vs Reds) @PhilHecken http://t.co/zvwnTk5nRC, 2 hours ago
- RT @d_russ: Atta boy http://t.co/rgQc083lDk, 2 hours ago
- Was asked which #Dbacks P I would give a plus pitch to and what the pitch would be. Answer: Mark Trumbo, knuckleball. Think about it., 2 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).