A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
The Pool ShotEpisode 35 of The Pool Shot: Jeff's survival instincts, appropriate uses of ranch dressing (spurred by Infield Chatter's @socosoco), and "the LAMBASTER," a sandwich inspired by Jake Lamb (and named by @OutsideSlider) -- and that's just the first 16 minutes. The guys do talk baseball, including an approach to the trade deadline, the midseason top prospects list (37:30), the draft bonus pool and Swanson signing (48:00), what Patrick Corbin does for the rotation (79:00) and the curious Zack Godley promotion (94:00). Subscribe on iTunes!
Midseason Top 10 Prospects
It's here: the Inside the 'Zona Midseason Top 10 Prospects List, including recent trade additions and 2015 draftees.
- In Light of Deadline Trades, Should D-backs Explore Trading Yasmany Tomas?
- Chris Owings and Yasmany Tomas: Similar Processes, Different Outcomes
- D-backs’ 2015 Draft: Not Altogether a Success
- Zack Godley’s First Impression
- Roundup: Hellickson Becoming Intriguing Trade Target; Backing Up First Base; Retaliation Rules of Engagement
- Chatting with Mauricio Rubio on the D-backs Midseason Top 10
- Raking Jamie Romak Could Fit Into Impending Roster Puzzle
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @darenw: When a batter swings at a Carter Capps pitch this year they swing and miss 49% of the time. That's insane. @JeffPassan, 46 mins ago
- RT @ProductiveOuts: Asked two sources about the Dbacks possibly trading for Chapman today. One said "I dunno." The other (my dog), barked and licked his balls., 46 mins ago
- .@OutfieldGrass24 and I talked Chapman & possible role when recording @thepoolshot last night, but... Not sure when http://t.co/CnPQEd85xx, 12 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @ChrisCotillo: Team to monitor on controllable starters all day today: Arizona. They may strike. Feelers out everywhere., 1 hour ago
- RT @ryanpmorrison: .@OutfieldGrass24 and I talked Chapman & possible role when recording @thepoolshot last night, but... Not sure when http://t.co/CnPQEd85xx, 12 hours ago
- Franklin Gutierrez is not as fast as he used to be., 15 hours ago
- http://t.co/V9skCPqLHK freezes, Seth Smith homers. I can make that sacrifice. #GoMs, 15 hours ago
- C'mon social medialites, do not cause this Soria deal to crash and burn. It's on you., 17 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).