A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
- How the Diamondbacks Landed in Baseball’s Toughest Situation and Don’t Have a Clear Way Out
- 2017 Spring Previews: Filling Up the Outfield
- 2017 Spring Preview: All the (New) Catchers
- Archie Bradley, Taijuan Walker, and Four-Seam Fastballs
- 2017 Spring Preview: Fun and Uncertainty in the D-backs’ Infield
- 2017 Spring Preview: Starting Pitching Showcases Depth, Questions
- The D-backs Are Trapped With Tomas
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @nickpiecoro: Morning at Salt River Fields https://t.co/N7J4v8kgX6, Feb 20
- RT @ojcarrasco: The Pool Shot 64: @ryanpmorrison & @OutfieldGrass24 go to the mall, Ryan gets lost, Jeff gets a corn dog. https://t.co/fcl5Y66yHH, Feb 19
- RT @jcrasnick: How is former #Rangers 1B Prince Fielder dealing with retirement? He's hosting a cooking show. https://t.co/LaNJTrvmHP, Feb 10
- #AmericasFirstBaseman https://t.co/apnoVp5gzG, Jan 04
- But, he'd probably rather make $119M/4 years with LAA than not play in MLB ever again. https://t.co/xT9Ijajown, Jan 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- Old friend alert https://t.co/jkPyKMBYT3, 11 mins ago
- Haven't seen this view at sunrise in a long time @ Downtown Los Angeles https://t.co/PfWnnr0bJX, Feb 23
- FWIW, no MLB hitter in 2016 hit a ball 108mph and had it travel that far. Mark Reynolds (484) and Tom Murphy (482)… https://t.co/vCrnM7zb4N, Feb 23
- why is there no seagull dropping a chicken finger on Randall Delgado emoji thats the real question imo https://t.co/J5qNSchC37, Feb 23
- Damn this beer is still fabulous - Drinking a Citra Showers by @noblealeworks - https://t.co/6qAk5pmb5j, Feb 23
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).