A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
Offseason Report Card
• Zack Greinke signing
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz and cash
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Tyler Clippard signing
- What Happened to Silvino Bracho?
- Maybe Contact Management Pitching Doesn’t Work in Arizona
- Smoothing Out the Seams: Fastball Woes Weighing Down the Rotation
- Jean Segura Goes HAM (For Now?)
- What the Chase Anderson Repertoire Change, Early Success Means for Shelby Miller
- Has Nick Ahmed Improved at the Plate?
- Archie Bradley Returns as Originally Advertised
Powered by: Web Designers
- It's happening https://t.co/65jm9eHVuj, 2 hours ago
- One more Cards game. Per projected standings at Fangraphs, strength of schedule by month for the #Dbacks: https://t.co/TMSDIueqE7, 4 hours ago
- 2011-2015 David Robertson: 2.44 ERA, 321.1 IP, 6.46 REW Brad Ziegler: 2.44 ERA, 335.0 IP, 6.71 REW Robertson fWAR: 9.3 Ziegler fWAR: 2.9, 4 hours ago
- Seung-Hwan Oh came into this game with a whiff rate of over 47% of swings on his fourseam. Not hard to see why., 24 hours ago
- Pretty sure Wainwright and Molina shared some credit for this strikeout with a guy wearing blue... https://t.co/m8EjjXSRgr, Apr 28
Powered by: Web Designers
- Nick Ahmed just got intentionally walked to force Rubby De La Rosa out of a ballgame. What world is this?, 25 mins ago
- Duuuuuuuude #GoDbacks https://t.co/3lxVn7ojqP, 36 mins ago
- Yadier Molina is so good at framing pitches that he can squeeze the strike zone from the batter's box. https://t.co/DK1rjGId5G, 1 hour ago
- RT @ryanpmorrison: It's happening https://t.co/65jm9eHVuj, 2 hours ago
- America's Backup Catcher https://t.co/0btbnZGdYR, 2 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).