A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
- A Little Less Golden: the Slow Decline of Goldschmidt May Be Here
- A Game of Adjustments for Brandon Drury (and Everyone Else)
- Is Extending Welington Castillo a Good Idea?
- D-backs and Run Scoring Efficiency
- Things Might Be Going Worse For the D-backs Off The Field
- Odds and Weekends: The D-Backs Had a Quirky Road Trip
- Moving Yasmany Tomas Should Be a Priority This Winter
Powered by: Web Designers
- A.J. Pollock's stance (and physique) looking sturdier, but without the wide base, those swings outside weren't going to do a whole lot, no?, 15 hours ago
- RT @nickpiecoro: Still in Triple-A Reno, Shelby Miller's free agency is likely to be delayed by a year. https://t.co/BXzF2BxLqN, Aug 25
- #riseup https://t.co/MiexyAbxKv, Aug 25
- RT @ojcarrasco: @ryanpmorrison it didn't seem too big when I watched him in person, he seems to be in control, which a lot of similar swings do not show., Aug 19
- I dunno what the right thing is after your bf takes a foul ball in the stomach but this still struck me as weird https://t.co/hev6x7nfNx, Aug 19
Powered by: Web Designers
- I just earned the 'Hopped Up (Level 16)' badge on @untappd! https://t.co/8HBKgN3Bon, 13 hours ago
- The hits just keep comin'. This is pretty rad. - Drinking a Dreadnaught by @3floyds - https://t.co/WrpIe8P51V, 13 hours ago
- Not my jam - Drinking a Chimera by @BirredelDucato - https://t.co/QZsrTpcTkV, 14 hours ago
- Absolute hop bomb. Had to have used a ton of citra here... - Drinking a Navaja by @halfacrebeer - https://t.co/qsd4OPZ3pE, 15 hours ago
- Tasty as per usual. - Drinking a Yum Yum by @3floyds - https://t.co/0T4EtZAUSd, 17 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).