A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
The Pool Shot
Offseason Report Card
• Zack Greinke signing
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz and cash
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Tyler Clippard signing
- Some D-backs Season Notes, in Graphics
- D-backs No Longer Winning the Base Running Race
- Forfeit if the Pirates Throw Another Headhunter Pitch
- Robbie Ray Breaking Balls
- Damn Daniel: Hudson Shoeing a New Approach Against Righties
- One Weird Trick to Fix Nick Ahmed!
- D-backs 40 Man Roster Weighted Toward Trades, In a Good Way
Powered by: Web Designers
- 112 mph off bat -- at 22 degrees launch angle. That is perfect contact for Lamb on his blast last night. https://t.co/l3Bp4Yehr4, 15 hours ago
- On Triple-A Reno roster, only 3 position players (Jack Reinheimer, Socrates Brito, Matt McPhearson) were born after 1990., 15 hours ago
- Not for nothing, but when Goldy made his leap in 2013, the trick was crushing those pitches in, just out of the zone https://t.co/Y60f6iOSSB, May 28
- Sometimes life is like that. Stay up watching a blowout, get to see Jake Lamb hit a pinch hit rocket over the pool. https://t.co/uCblwoyXQ5, May 28
- Are we completely sure Travis Jankowski isn't a centaur?, May 28
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @Mike_Ferrin: You know the Miggy thing where he asks for the appeal on his own check swings? Greinke just did it and had it called a strike, 9 hours ago
- Surprised me in how much I like this one! Closer to an IPA in pr... (Cascaderade India Pale Lager) https://t.co/oSLFzFJSLL, 9 hours ago
- Nothing like a little NorCal breeze @ Golden Gate Bridge https://t.co/Y4lCKWadnv, 11 hours ago
- Road trip day one, first stop @ Louisa's Place https://t.co/H30TD1SAnV, 20 hours ago
- RT @JakeDRill: Archie Bradley will start on Sunday, Edwin Escobar on Monday #Dbacks, May 27
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).