A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
- Predicting Diamondbacks Starting Pitcher Success
- 40-Man Decisions and Why the D-backs Protected A.J. Schugel
- Double Plus: Some Final Thoughts on AFL Prospects
- Double Plus: Chase Anderson’s Dropped Drop and Whiffed Whiffs
- What’s Yasmany Tomas Worth These Days?
- The D-backs’ Offense Can Still Improve
- Hellickson Trade Signals Right Kind of Experimentation, New Kind of Offseason
Announcement: Double PlusWe're making a change: instead of roundups, which we used for smaller vignettes and to weigh in on links, we're opting for a more free-form format on Fridays. Expect two pieces shorter than our normal fare, with analysis of all shapes: using links as a jumping off point, extending or following up on research in a previous post, or addressing questions we find interesting even if we haven't narrowed down the answers. It's been 2+ years at this, and we'll both be contributing to these Friday two-packs of bonus content. We call it Double Plus.
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @Cut4: It’s happening, guys. @davidortiz may actually be starting a gym for iguanas: https://t.co/lug85fJ9F1 https://t.co/1mBcO3xqPm, Nov 23
- 40-Man decisions and the why on keeping A.J. Schugel: https://t.co/4y4iAUwXhk #Dbacks https://t.co/CLGrGkgHWv, Nov 23
- RT @nickpiecoro: They also designated RHP Allen Webster for assignment. Webster was part of last year's return, along with Rubby De La Rosa, for Wade Miley., Nov 21
- RT @nickpiecoro: Dbacks have added RHPs Jake Barrett and Matt Koch and OF Gabby Guerrero to the 40-man roster., Nov 21
- Burned just right! As in, not... - Drinking a Black Butte Porter by @deschutesbeer - https://t.co/yEEPAlt7sm, Nov 17
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @BeachwoodBBQ: #Tovarish Russian Imperial Stout is coming the day after Christmas. We’ve got lots of cool stuff for the event! https://t.co/5ESYPJN0IB, 7 hours ago
- Wandy has such easy style https://t.co/ttttK6Z6tx, 7 hours ago
- RT @EricBallpark: Ice skating at @aces ballpark cancelled due to snow. I recognize that this sounds weird., 7 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).