A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
The Inside the 'Zona Offseason Plan
• Zack Greinke
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Johnny Cueto
• Scott Kazmir
• Mike Leake
• Aroldis Chapman
• Zach Britton
• Jonathan Lucroy
• Trade Value of Yasmany Tomas
• Effect of the Qualifying Offer
• Offense Can Be Improved
• 40-Man Decisions
- Double Plus: A New Diamondbacks Top 10 Prospects
- Double Plus: The Deferred Money Cycle Begins Again
- What Does a Top of the Order Hitter Look Like?
- The Race for Fifth Starter May Already be Decided
- What Jean Segura Does, and Doesn’t, Bring to the Table
- Cashing Out Chase Anderson, Literally
- Double Plus: Strike Zone Adjustment a Coming Catastrophe?
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @CaliKusiolek: @ryanpmorrison Tyler Mark was a extremely good amateur get for that organization. Very athletic, good chance to start, 16 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Hey party people: send @ryanpmorrison and I your #Dbacks questions for next @thepoolshot podcast. Recording tomorrow. What's on your mind?, 17 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @Mike_Ferrin @MRubio52 based on batted ball stuff, I still think there's more growth for Lamb. Maybe it's a young RP. Bracho or Burgos?, 22 hours ago
- #Dbacks were first in baseball in OBP in full counts last year(.497), led by Inciarte(.610), Pollock(.586), Peralta(.547) and Lamb(.526)., 18 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- La Strella #1 @ Pasadena, California https://t.co/YofXjmsIRo, 10 hours ago
- I wish there were more coverage of Johnny American Football and how *he's* doing., 11 hours ago
- RT @kendrawcandraw: I didn't realize money was genetic https://t.co/9bUpyFTZof, 21 hours ago
- RT @mike_el_boss: RIP DAB 2015-2016 https://t.co/rEteeBm344, Jan 15
- Are they brave enough to be on an extreme fly ball guy in that park? Already have Bracho... https://t.co/OoadWtKHYy, 16 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).