A week after the .500 end to the Arizona season, the MLB Division Series are in full swing. Consequently, there isn’t too much to report on what’s been written on the D-backs in the last week.
We will still be publishing regularly in the offseason, although we may draw back a bit from 5 posts a week. Check out the recent four-part series on the roster, and keep an eye out as Jeff continues to publish posts on the seasons and top performers of the Arizona minor league affiliates.
Those of us rooting for an early exit for the Dodgers haven’t gotten their wish so far, as the Dodgers lead in their series over the Braves 2-1. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Red Sox drub the Dodgers into submission, if both teams win the World Series…
- Nick Piecoro had more on the D-backs’ broadcasted plans to pick up a power bat. To me, all of the “or it could be Matt Davidson” we have seen from Kevin Towers is just hedging, a fig leaf for negotiations. But I think Jeff is completely on point about Kevin Towers releasing all these plans, unless they’re a ploy…
- Dan Bickley had at least a few dozen words on how the Arizona franchise may have been overtaken by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Steve Gilbert wrapped the after-season organizational meetings for the D-backs. Steve also wrote on what the 2014 roster may look like.
- At AZ Snake Pit, Jim McLennan posted on what went right this year, and what went wrong. Agree with practically everything here — I’ll just make the very minor point that it was less that Miguel Montero had a terrible year, and more that he had just an incredibly bad first two months. I’m betting on a bounce back, all the way.
- Jim also addressed Goldy’s MVP candidacy. Be sure also to check out what the D-backs published.
- Venom Strikes’ Matthew Hochberg worries about Matt Williams getting a job elsewhere.
The Pool ShotSpecial guest Mauricio Rubio of Baseball Prospectus helps the boys break down the Touki Toussaint trade and discuss team strategy, as well as evaluate several other Diamondbacks prospects that Rubio has scouted. Lots of strategy and prospect talk, plus a new group of top prospects including Dansby Swanson. Subscribe on iTunes!
- New International Signs Debut for the Diamondbacks
- Robbie Ray Doing it His Way With Fly Balls and a Fourth (or Fifth) Pitch
- An Open Letter to Commissioner Manfred on Selling Teams and Selling Prospects
- The Touki Toussaint Trade Discussion w/ Special Guest Mauricio Rubio
- What’s Behind Bad Rubby?
- Roundup: Toussaint Trade Reaction; Reed Demoted; the Color of Money
- Toussaint Sold as the D-backs’ Process Continues to Fail
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @joshrawitch: It's #SMDay worldwide & with us! Chat with @JakeLamb18 on @Dbacks at noon, with @ChaseAnderson87 on http://t.co/K8sVuEueEB at 1 pm (cont.), 4 hours ago
- RT @ScottHoward42: @ryanpmorrison "And do any of those friends pitch? Bring them.", 14 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: The Dodgers were *this* close to beating the #Dbacks http://t.co/kvfbFJTGLv, 14 hours ago
- What planet is Paul Goldschmidt from and does he have any friends from there that like to play baseball, 14 hours ago
- Hey @OutfieldGrass24 we should consider running a caption contest some time http://t.co/ssKzye0vqz, 15 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- MY FAVORITE TWEET EVARRRR!!! https://t.co/2rRRiAAuBf, 29 mins ago
- Some notes and reports (via @Oak_AllDay) about recent #Dbacks international signings in the low minors: http://t.co/kW9ugWENQv, 2 hours ago
- RT @InsidetheZona: New at Inside the 'Zona: New International Signs Debut for the Diamondbacks http://t.co/KLX6JCxh7l, 3 hours ago
- I'm making my "excited for NBA free agency" face right now and I can tell you it looks 100% like my regular face., 3 hours ago
- RT @pizzacutter4: Shameless self-promotion: Let's assume team chemistry is real. What would it be worth? @baseballpro http://t.co/ktUEwWd5Zg, 3 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).