The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
The Inside the 'Zona Offseason Plan
• Zack Greinke
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Johnny Cueto
• Scott Kazmir
• Mike Leake
• Aroldis Chapman
• Zach Britton
• Jonathan Lucroy
• Trade Value of Yasmany Tomas
• Effect of the Qualifying Offer
• Offense Can Be Improved
• 40-Man Decisions
- Double Plus: A New Diamondbacks Top 10 Prospects
- Double Plus: The Deferred Money Cycle Begins Again
- What Does a Top of the Order Hitter Look Like?
- The Race for Fifth Starter May Already be Decided
- What Jean Segura Does, and Doesn’t, Bring to the Table
- Cashing Out Chase Anderson, Literally
- Double Plus: Strike Zone Adjustment a Coming Catastrophe?
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @thepoolshot: Episode 51: Lamb, Chase Field, shrubbery, 5th starter battle, and all the ST competition for bullpen spots https://t.co/cC1QgrZ7MU, 2 hours ago
- RT @CaliKusiolek: @ryanpmorrison Tyler Mark was a extremely good amateur get for that organization. Very athletic, good chance to start, 23 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Hey party people: send @ryanpmorrison and I your #Dbacks questions for next @thepoolshot podcast. Recording tomorrow. What's on your mind?, Feb 05
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @Mike_Ferrin @MRubio52 based on batted ball stuff, I still think there's more growth for Lamb. Maybe it's a young RP. Bracho or Burgos?, Feb 05
Powered by: Web Designers
- Good timing as we talked #Dbacks/Clippard on @thepoolshot this morning: https://t.co/VSmZmjeEGN https://t.co/G0uycAz4Yo, 1 hour ago
- RT @youknow_OJ: Inspired by old home movies @ryanpmorrison transferred to video the guys go to @OutfieldGrass24 's cabin by the lake https://t.co/0B3ajpg8a0, 1 hour ago
- La Strella #1 @ Pasadena, California https://t.co/YofXjmsIRo, 17 hours ago
- I wish there were more coverage of Johnny American Football and how *he's* doing., 18 hours ago
- RT @kendrawcandraw: I didn't realize money was genetic https://t.co/9bUpyFTZof, Feb 05
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).