The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- Time for a Checkup
- Mitch Haniger: the Next Jake Lamb?
- A Little Less Golden: the Slow Decline of Goldschmidt May Be Here
- A Game of Adjustments for Brandon Drury (and Everyone Else)
- Is Extending Welington Castillo a Good Idea?
- D-backs and Run Scoring Efficiency
- Things Might Be Going Worse For the D-backs Off The Field
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @espn_sweet_spot: What we learned Monday: Indians look to claim American League prize https://t.co/JeNAcCZGtZ, 21 hours ago
- RT @JimEllis12: @InsidetheZona If Haniger's exit velocity is anything like Ryan's descriptive hyphen-velocity, he'll be in good shape., Aug 29
- Mitch Haniger's track record is a bit Lamb-like, if less pronounced. And so far, so good. https://t.co/DxnMELRzxt https://t.co/i8gdqUoHc8, Aug 29
- RT @nickpiecoro: Dbacks' Jake Lamb learned something valuable from Statcast data, as SI's @albertcchen writes. https://t.co/xmdQliaQI7, Aug 27
- A.J. Pollock's stance (and physique) looking sturdier, but without the wide base, those swings outside weren't going to do a whole lot, no?, Aug 27
Powered by: Web Designers
- Pretty rad to see the @GreenFlashBeer sign on the outfield wall in Cleveland. Drink good beer, Indians fans., 7 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: Two years ago today, @JakeLamb18 crushed his first big-league grand slam. #DbacksMemories https://t.co/Q3XDds2erS, Aug 30
- RT @AzSportsGirl63: #BirdGang Must read is @kentsomers book. You'll learn. You'll be touched. You'll have good memories. https://t.co/C6DjwXaSiR, Aug 29
- RT @ryanpmorrison: Mitch Haniger's track record is a bit Lamb-like, if less pronounced. And so far, so good. https://t.co/DxnMELRzxt https://t.co/i8gdqUoHc8, Aug 29
- RT @JaredRavich: .@OutfieldGrass24 @HillsboroHops Here's @Stephen_Smith14 hitting a triple yesterday. https://t.co/n7rr2wR9H9, Aug 29
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).