The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- Double Plus: Why Trade for Zach Britton?
- Double Plus: Why Not Trade for Aroldis Chapman?
- The Inside the ‘Zona 2015-2016 Offseason Plan
- Predicting Diamondbacks Starting Pitcher Success
- 40-Man Decisions and Why the D-backs Protected A.J. Schugel
- Double Plus: Some Final Thoughts on AFL Prospects
- Double Plus: Chase Anderson’s Dropped Drop and Whiffed Whiffs
Announcement: Double PlusWe're making a change: instead of roundups, which we used for smaller vignettes and to weigh in on links, we're opting for a more free-form format on Fridays. Expect two pieces shorter than our normal fare, with analysis of all shapes: using links as a jumping off point, extending or following up on research in a previous post, or addressing questions we find interesting even if we haven't narrowed down the answers. It's been 2+ years at this, and we'll both be contributing to these Friday two-packs of bonus content. We call it Double Plus.
Powered by: Web Designers
- Something to think about: what player would you most want the #Dbacks to acquire, and why? Don't worry about feasibility., Nov 28
- PSA: if you propose a trade @InsidetheZona that involves moving Jake Lamb, I'm probably not going to agree with you, Nov 28
- Why #Dbacks should pass on Aroldis Chapman https://t.co/fpFjEJpwLn and why Zach Britton could justify same price https://t.co/SoCf9TGSST, Nov 28
- Inner voice: none of them are Arizona https://t.co/jmGZSm9Cft, Nov 27
- RT @InsidetheZona: New at Inside the 'Zona: Double Plus: Why Not Trade for Aroldis Chapman? https://t.co/14jCSGzrkg, Nov 27
Powered by: Web Designers
- Obviously not surprised that Cueto rejected the #Dbacks' initial offer. But I do like that they were aggressive and tested the water., 8 hours ago
- Forgot this one from last night after some BCBS https://t.co/DJFwAedlef, Nov 29
- Cold and happy after a long hike to the top @ Cucamonga Peak https://t.co/iy5D8VYoTD, Nov 29
- View from the top of Cucamonga Peak, 8990ft @ Cucamonga Peak https://t.co/DbH24Zgoi4, Nov 29
- So, so true https://t.co/KesAYEDgUW, Nov 28
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).