The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- Blast From the Past: Did the D-backs Trade the Right Guys?
- Better Late Than Never: Brandon Drury is the Best Hitter in Baseball Right Now
- Some Weird Things About Jake Lamb’s 2016 Campaign
- Chris Owings is Useful Again
- Are Hits Up the Middle Hurting the Diamondbacks?
- Get to Know Your AFL Diamondbacks Prospects
- D-backs Turn Michael Bourn Into Something
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @espn_sweet_spot: What we learned Monday: Indians look to claim American League prize https://t.co/JeNAcCZGtZ, Aug 30
- RT @JimEllis12: @InsidetheZona If Haniger's exit velocity is anything like Ryan's descriptive hyphen-velocity, he'll be in good shape., Aug 29
- Mitch Haniger's track record is a bit Lamb-like, if less pronounced. And so far, so good. https://t.co/DxnMELRzxt https://t.co/i8gdqUoHc8, Aug 29
- RT @nickpiecoro: Dbacks' Jake Lamb learned something valuable from Statcast data, as SI's @albertcchen writes. https://t.co/xmdQliaQI7, Aug 27
- A.J. Pollock's stance (and physique) looking sturdier, but without the wide base, those swings outside weren't going to do a whole lot, no?, Aug 27
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @MLBStatoftheDay: King Felix owns a 2.65 career ERA in 96 no-decisions – the lowest of any of the 245 pitchers with 75+ career no-dec… https://t.co/k0Ka9m0SjC, 58 mins ago
- In which we review #Dbacks trades of the past and evaluate the players they decided to trade. They've done better t… https://t.co/mPgmQFgOQh, 32 mins ago
- Awwwww https://t.co/wJ1WnpJgwu, 12 hours ago
- Now if we can just get vine of Jesus Sucre saying "this is my house!" all will be good in the universe., 19 hours ago
- RT @LookoutLanding: HELL YES https://t.co/21sM4W5Die, 19 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).