The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
The Pool ShotEpisode 27 of The Pool Shot: With help from Twitter questions, the guys talk big picture (@IvoryTiger), Reed's removal as closer, the new approach of Tomas, and, of course, what that means for Jake Lamb (@JoeCB91). They also get in a question on Josh Collmenter (@coldblueAZ) which may or may not involve him throwing sidearm. Subscribe on iTunes!
- D-backs Aggressive With Stolen Bases, Situationally Smart as Well
- Minor Report: Kane County Cougars
- The Bat Is Back for Chris Owings
- Taking Inventory of Yasmany Tomas and His Adjustments
- Roundup: Reed Out as Closer; Do the D-backs Have a Humidor?
- Aaron Hill Trade Prospects Given Recent Offensive Surge
- Does Shuffling the D-backs Lineup Matter?
Powered by: Web Designers
- #walkoffhair http://t.co/ONC2lmeM0e, 13 hours ago
- Nick Ahmed did everything but steal second base tonight. Awesome game. #SLAPHANDS, 14 hours ago
- Randall Delgado out there for a rockin rollin extra inning game. Feeling shaky with no seagulls or chicken fingers. http://t.co/I0ZcG09nL0, 14 hours ago
- Forgot about pitches below the zone, the normal kryptonite https://t.co/b47G8bPDqa, 14 hours ago
- Five infielders could be Tomas kryptonite. Strong bet he would have been going for that up the middle liner/ground ball, 14 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- Made it to Joshua Tree, see you on Monday https://t.co/t7eJHmKncY, 7 hours ago
- RT @BenCarsley: I've tried not to be that guy but Hanley's total disinterest in playing defense is starting to piss me off., 19 hours ago
- RT @Swydan: Hanley Ramirez plays left field like someone who wants to be moved out of left field., 19 hours ago
- RT @MRubio52: Touki Toussaint #dbacks https://t.co/fFTQf8FbXz, 20 hours ago
- RT @Ut26: I accept that the Phillies are bad but I'm still not sure I'm emotionally prepared to watch Sean O'Sullivan face the Nationals right now., 21 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).