The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- Peter O’Brien is Not Working Out
- Snakebitten: Though Relatively Healthy, Injuries Confounding D-backs Outfield
- Finding Another Brad Ziegler
- Where Did Our Patrick Corbin Go?
- What the D-backs Can Learn From the Giants
- Speaking with Top Draft Picks: Previewing D-backs Short Season Affiliates
- Yasmany Are Called But Few Are Chosen: The Time Has Come to Build for 2017, Better Embrace It
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @RockiesZingers: Hey @InsidetheZona from field level the #dbacks look invisible. #Rockies https://t.co/ln5wsRoKSN, 20 hours ago
- Josh Collmenter has a 6.50 ERA at Coors Field, career., Jun 25
- Not in lineup? No problem. 51 RBI., Jun 25
- Does this mean Michael Bourn needs to change his number to 2?, Jun 25
- I heard people talking about The Battle of the Backup Catchers. Real war of attrition, Jun 25
Powered by: Web Designers
- Seems somewhat relevant https://t.co/GT5SabunfV, 16 hours ago
- Always a special day when you crack one of these guys! - Drinking a Stickee Monkee by @FirestoneWalker - https://t.co/ZEz3ngz5ef, 17 hours ago
- RT @nickpiecoro: Dbacks have 54 hits in these four games. That is a club record for a four-game series., 18 hours ago
- Happy trails @ Dry Creek Falls https://t.co/44mY2YsbEF, Jun 26
- I just earned the 'Bar Explorer (Level 5)' badge on @untappd! https://t.co/Y9JcFKKOy6, Jun 26
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).