The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
Midseason Top 10 Prospects
It's here: the Inside the 'Zona Midseason Top 10 Prospects List, including recent trade additions and 2015 draftees.
- D-backs’ 2015 Draft: Not Altogether a Success
- Zack Godley’s First Impression
- Roundup: Hellickson Becoming Intriguing Trade Target; Backing Up First Base; Retaliation Rules of Engagement
- Chatting with Mauricio Rubio on the D-backs Midseason Top 10
- Raking Jamie Romak Could Fit Into Impending Roster Puzzle
- The Diamondbacks Midseason Top 10 Prospects
- The Dan Warthen Slider Could Be the Missing Piece for Robbie Ray
Powered by: Web Designers
- Chillax. https://t.co/8Wq680HM7r, 3 hours ago
- RT @Crewsett: Dave Stewart needs to have more press conferences, 4 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: SPEECHLESS https://t.co/CFiobghl7p, 4 hours ago
- RT @JakeLamb18: One of the coolest moments in my life. Can't explain how awesome it was playing in front of my… https://t.co/Ug8TogQu5X, 4 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: Jake Lamb played homecoming hero in return to Seattle: http://t.co/0iIj1Gns6I http://t.co/WN6pShGC5U, 8 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- Not Luigi. Damn. https://t.co/brUGQYb4vm, 1 hour ago
- RT @Every6thDay: "Just keep doing that. Don't slow down," Ruben said. https://t.co/Jr5m0hnVF9, 3 hours ago
- SPEECHLESS https://t.co/CFiobghl7p, 4 hours ago
- Should probably be five, but okay. https://t.co/gfH5iJX6xS, 4 hours ago
- I feel like saying "If X happens I quit writing about this team" is super lame b/c I basically volunteer. But if #Dbacks trade for Chapman.., 5 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).