The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- Who’s to Blame: Fire Chip Hale or Look To the Top?
- Home, run! History in the Making at Chase Field
- Is Jake Barrett Really This Good?
- Historic Strikeouts Plaguing the D-backs Offense
- What Makes a Good D-backs Reliever?
- Trading Zack Greinke and Shelby Miller is Not In the Cards
- Daniel Hudson’s Misses and Swings
Powered by: Web Designers
- Reminder: hiring Tony La Russa as Chief Baseball Officer meant hiring someone that, realistically, the #Dbacks could never fire., Jul 22
- Agree with @OnBaseUnit. Maybe it would have worked elsewhere, but: a fundamental misunderstanding of Chase, NL West. https://t.co/frGmdM5egG, Jul 22
- RT @OnBaseUnit: The Diamondbacks have a .327 W-L% at home and a .535 W-L% on the road. That is the worst gap between home v. road W-L% in MLB history., Jul 21
- Weirdly, every pitcher who has excelled for the D-backs for long fits in 1 of 3 categories... https://t.co/yTNexDxu8P, Jul 19
- These kinds of bullpen struggles are not new for the #Dbacks, but having no more Ziegler vacations from them is gonna get old pretty quick., Jul 17
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @CJWittJr: Check out Ep. 1 of Mediocre Makeup w/ myself & @MRubio52 from last week before ep. 2 tomrw! https://t.co/fx2kwA5kVS https://t.co/ynAbu5csqW, 7 hours ago
- Relevant, maybe https://t.co/J3SomhIL8N, 8 hours ago
- Sure, 10 outs left and down a run, why not let your rookie pitcher sitting at 92 pitches hit for himself?, 8 hours ago
- Braden Shipley's night is likely done. Fastball command wasn't great, but some effective secondaries kept him in it. Successful debut., 8 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: First big league K? ☑ First big league hit? ☑ First big league homer? SO close. https://t.co/9mnpXYXZsC, 9 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).