The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
The Pool ShotEpisode 20 of The Pool Shot: The guys talk about Sam Miller's piece identifying the D-backs' "Moneyball" strategy and Dave Cameron's piece about why he also thinks the D-backs are different, before setting their preferred 25-man roster to start the season. In so doing, they make use of Twitter questions from @bgrosnick (upside or reliability for bench), @EdwardFShore (whether Archie Bradley is first in line if a starter struggles), and @IvoryTiger (whether Goldy's slow start is concerning). They also have a blast discussing a question from @Ascend_Descend about which pitcher and which "plus" pitch they would add to a D-backs pitcher's repertoire if they were omnipotent. Subscribe on iTunes!
- Daniel Hudson’s Very Best Fit
- Roundup: D-backs “Moneyball”; Could Hill Get Moved?
- Fireballs Shooting Out of Right Hand of Enrique Burgos
- Real D-backs Defensive Shifts, Really
- Andrew Chafin Leading Race to Be Only Real Bullpen Lefty
- Spring Notes from D-backs Minor League Camp
- Roundup: Roster in Focus; Tomas Contract Discussions; Six Man Rotation?
Powered by: Web Designers
- #Dbacks hits leaders in official spring games feature 4 OFs in top 5 (but, okay, 5th was a tie). Hard to do that in April, 57 mins ago
- http://t.co/ryCxKVOt11, 5 hours ago
- RT @azc_zachb: Really, if Laird makes 25-man out of camp, club just gifted him an extra $100,000 but not putting him on the 25-man now., 5 hours ago
- RT @azc_zachb: Sounds like Dbacks paid Laird $100K retention bonus, 8 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @ryanpmorrison: Re: the @SteveGilbertMLB 3 long RPs report, @OutfieldGrass24 explained this morning why, and that Hudson is the key: http://t.co/TgeOBW6uTD, 6 hours ago
- RT @BerniePleskoff: Goldschmidt's swing on the first pitch homer off #Rangers Marinez was totally effortless. Short and quick to the ball. Great hands, wrists., 7 hours ago
- RT @SteveGilbertMLB: At least at the beginning of season it sounds like #Dbacks want 3 pitchers -- Hudson, Delgado & TBA -- that can provide length in relief., 7 hours ago
- RT @BerniePleskoff: #Dbacks Nick Ahmed has had an outstanding spring and is turning some heads. May make the INF decisions difficult for #Dbacks., 8 hours ago
- Daniel Hudson is heading to the #Dbacks bullpen. That's more valuable than you think: http://t.co/KKerRAyt5Z, 8 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).