The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- The Inside the ‘Zona 2016-2017 Offseason Plan
- Welington Castillo Out, Jeff Mathis In: Fighting the D-backs’ Biggest Problem
- The New CBA and Your Arizona Diamondbacks
- Get to Know Ketel Marte
- Improved Mechanics For An Improved Taijuan Walker?
- Taijuan Walker a Sign of Smarter Pitching Strategy
- Diamondbacks Sell High on Jean Segura, Acquire Taijuan Walker
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @InsidetheZona: Our #Dbacks Offseason Plan went up today. Long version: https://t.co/DjGO03bfoO Tl;dr: Yes, we traded Yasmany Tomás… https://t.co/40PVoYMyGv, 7 hours ago
- RT @JP_Breen: Were those two people Dave Stewart and Tony La Russa? https://t.co/4ZFjErqrEA, 7 hours ago
- RT @AviSoep: *Record Scratch* [Freeze Frame] "Hi, this is @Dbacks. You're probably wondering how I didn't end up in this situati… https://t.co/jsBwnMJiL5, 7 hours ago
- RT @ryanpmorrison: .@OutfieldGrass24 I'm getting this logo printed on a hat if you promise to go back and give it to Barista Fernando http://t.co/EaiO6bKIJ2, Aug 04
- RT @OutsideSlider: Hey @ryanpmorrison remember that time 2 yrs ago when we talked about bringing Dan Haren in as a pitching consultant? That was awesome. #tbt, 11 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- It is v cold https://t.co/cqvO91Z641, 15 mins ago
- RT @ojcarrasco: This is worth reading, re-reading & planning to read more. Great job by @OutfieldGrass24 @ryanpmorrison @OnBaseUnit https://t.co/dTkMfxc4wT, 43 mins ago
- For only $83.5 million more, the #Dbacks coulda had Aroldis Chapman instead of Fernando Rodney, 1 hour ago
- Holy shit Jose Ramirez's timeline is solid gold, 5 hours ago
- #championship https://t.co/EwJaDbZVxS, 5 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).