The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
Offseason Report Card
• Zack Greinke signing
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz and cash
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Tyler Clippard signing
- #FreeJakeLamb and the Magnificence of Brandon Drury
- Paul Goldschmidt is (Not) Broken
- D-backs Smartly Riding the Wave of Increased Replay Challenges
- An Attempt at Making Sense of Rubby De La Rosa
- Double Plus: Out of the Schedule Woods Atop Mount Five Hundred
- Double Plus: Friday Fun Facts (Or Not)
- What Happened to Silvino Bracho?
Powered by: Web Designers
- Jan 2013, #Dbacks traded their 3B and Upton for their new 3B, a 3B prospect, Delgado, Ahmed and Spruill. All 3 3B played in this MIA game., 2 hours ago
- Brandon Drury: so versatile, he plays multiple positions simultaneously, 2 hours ago
- RT @thepoolshot: Episode 59: Goldy's batted balls, Lamb sitting, Rubby's slider and success, and whether 12-17 puts more eyes on 2017 https://t.co/XbdAgvDzWo, 6 hours ago
- #FreeJakeLamb https://t.co/QV9YIYvp0e https://t.co/OQlAZRoJod, 2 hours ago
- Brandon Drury, on fire, came into tonight with an excellent 145 wRC+. Jake Lamb against lefties this year: 145 wRC+. #FreeJakeLamb, 2 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- Christian Yelich v. Robbie Ray is really the perfect foul ball recipe., 3 hours ago
- Nick so filthyyyyyy, 4 hours ago
- Robbie Ray with that good heater tonight. #GoDbacks, 4 hours ago
- Wish I'd included this the other day, but Goldy is seeing 1/3 of a pitch more per plate appearance this year. Chip wants him more aggressive, 5 hours ago
- If you're so inclined, the #Dbacks play in the https://t.co/V9skCPImzi free game of the day today and start in about 20 minutes!, 5 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).