The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
The Pool ShotEpisode 37 of The Pool Shot: The guys talk about no-win situations and, on a completely unrelated note, the D-backs rotation. The surprising move of Randall Delgado to the rotation in lieu of an Aaron Blair promotion, sizing up the team's internal options for next year, and working through the ways in which the rotation can be upgraded. Subscribe on iTunes!
Midseason Top 10 Prospects
It's here: the Inside the 'Zona Midseason Top 10 Prospects List, including recent trade additions and 2015 draftees.
- Diminished Plate Discipline is Undoing Nick Ahmed
- As Hitters Figure Out Daniel Hudson, a Challenging Puzzle Looms
- Reed Traded; the Kevin Towers Closer Era Ends
- Roundup: Coming Around on Saltalamacchia; David Peralta Getting Noticed; Goldy Something Else
- D-backs Changing Robbie Ray for the Worse
- Westbrook, Diaz and Others Gaining Momentum in the Minors
- Jake Lamb Should be Playing Against (Some) Lefties
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @EdwardFShore: @ryanpmorrison ...and after TWO Tommy John surgeries. Seriously. We don't talk enough about how remarkable that is. @DHuddy41 is a dude., 13 hours ago
- Daniel Hudson's "100 mph fastball" in Game 1 was tracked by PITCHf/x at 99.6 mph, rounded up. Still -- fastest tracked pitch of his career., 14 hours ago
- A pox on a Royal house seems Shakespearean, but being 13 games up tends to stave off tragedies... https://t.co/hebmiIW6Mx, 18 hours ago
- #Rays 1st rd pick and all around awesome guy Garrett Whitley just missed this one off #RedSox lefty Javier Rodriguez http://t.co/ykk43FEh9n, Aug 31
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If I were president, I'd name all mountains after hop varietals and wine grapes and anyone who didn't like it could drink an O'Douls., Aug 31
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @InsidetheZona: New at Inside the 'Zona: Diminished Plate Discipline is Undoing Nick Ahmed http://t.co/n17CXtXOmz, 3 hours ago
- RT @ESPNStatsInfo: Paul Goldschmidt lined into the 1st ever triple play hit by the D-backs. Arizona had been the only active franchise never to hit into one., 16 hours ago
- #SlapHands, 17 hours ago
- That thin air mayne https://t.co/qz2OEq1Jl1, 17 hours ago
- Despite my biases, this is certainly warranted. #GoDbacks https://t.co/dmjdkhwTK8, 17 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).