The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
The Pool Shot
Offseason Report Card
• Zack Greinke signing
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz and cash
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Tyler Clippard signing
- Some D-backs Season Notes, in Graphics
- D-backs No Longer Winning the Base Running Race
- Forfeit if the Pirates Throw Another Headhunter Pitch
- Robbie Ray Breaking Balls
- Damn Daniel: Hudson Shoeing a New Approach Against Righties
- One Weird Trick to Fix Nick Ahmed!
- D-backs 40 Man Roster Weighted Toward Trades, In a Good Way
Powered by: Web Designers
- Not for nothing, but when Goldy made his leap in 2013, the trick was crushing those pitches in, just out of the zone https://t.co/Y60f6iOSSB, 39 mins ago
- Sometimes life is like that. Stay up watching a blowout, get to see Jake Lamb hit a pinch hit rocket over the pool. https://t.co/uCblwoyXQ5, 44 mins ago
- Are we completely sure Travis Jankowski isn't a centaur?, 1 hour ago
- New #Dbacks pitching strategy: put the pitchers on waivers, hope other teams pitch them against us, 1 hour ago
- Maybe more games for fewer batters wasn't great for Chafin. https://t.co/biPiGjujdE, 2 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @JakeDRill: Archie Bradley will start on Sunday, Edwin Escobar on Monday #Dbacks, 7 hours ago
- RT @JakeDRill: #Dbacks SP Rubby De La Rosa said he got an MRI this morning, results weren't bad, but also not good. He says it may be longer than 15 days., 8 hours ago
- Sixth grade getting my crush on. I kissed a girl that year. She quit talking to me. https://t.co/QDJzMqIkYS, May 26
- RT @9Richard19: #PhantomDL https://t.co/W7Us5guIEm, May 26
- I am half responsible for this tweet. #mediainfluencer #trending #brand https://t.co/1fqdAjHF7Y, May 26
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).