The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- The Cause of Trevor Cahill’s Downturn
- D-backs Will Shift More in 2015
- Projecting the Career of Paul Goldschmidt
- New TV Deal Means Flexibility for D-backs, Eventually
- Roundup: Mark Trumbo Wins Arb Hearing; Taking Issue with “Commitment” to International Market
- With Evan Marshall’s Stock Set to Rise, Now the Time to Buy
- An Observation on the Risk of Power
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @SandwichWingman: Ep 8 from @InsidetheZona, popcorn shrimp, pad thai sauce, peanut butter, bean sprouts on bolo http://t.co/gjhmQwUjqi http://t.co/KTZWmQpqdx, 19 mins ago
- Home/away HR splits for @Aces is the most awesome kind of spam I've ever seen #Dbacks http://t.co/rbarkgyuCR, 6 hours ago
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: RT @nickpiecoro: Dbacks believe 3B Jake Lamb is "oozing with talent." http://t.co/QzrZ6moUaS cc: @InsidetheZona, 9 hours ago
- Trevor Cahill had awful 2014 results despite no rise in FIP and other stats. Why is that? Let's look at EVERYTHING. http://t.co/eSAnFz0mlL, Feb 28
- Team-employed accountability coach not ideal http://t.co/b2A0Oy1GlP http://t.co/DTuuK2MXpb, Feb 27
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @Dbacks: Mark Trumbo and the #Dbacks are optimistic about the slugger's switch to right field. Story: http://t.co/2jPW8N7laG http://t.co/DyQ19Wk4bm, 9 hours ago
- RT @nickpiecoro: Dbacks believe 3B Jake Lamb is "oozing with talent." http://t.co/QzrZ6moUaS cc: @InsidetheZona, 9 hours ago
- RT @CLEFOAINTACRIME: BUT EVEN WITHOUT THAT IT'S STILL AWFUL THAT'S HOW BAD IT IS., 9 hours ago
- RT @CLEFOAINTACRIME: On this podcast episode, we spent quite some time making fun of the Braves offseason AND WE FORGOT ABOUT THE HEYWARD TRADE., 9 hours ago
- RT @LB4db: #FF #DbackNation's Awesome FOLLOWS ▶ @OutfieldGrass24 ▶ @27_OutsBaseball ▶ @HardballFarm, Feb 27
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
On Episode 15 of The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced statistics. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense (58:00).