The Arizona Diamondbacks released a flyer to the national media yesterday lobbying for Paul Goldschmidt to take home NL MVP honors. Here’s a look at that release: Goldschmidt for NL MVP
Obviously, Goldy is deserving and we certainly hope he gets recognized for an outstanding season. Anything less than second place in the voting is a disservice and one could argue the same for anything but a win. Biases exist, however, and the Diamondbacks didn’t make the playoffs.
Perhaps most notable is the fact that the front office utilized advanced metrics like Win Probability Added (WPA), Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+) to advertise Goldy’s candidacy. On top of just being awesome (which isn’t a metric, YET), Paul has a very legitimate statistical case to make when it comes to the NL MVP crown. Fingers crossed, maybe he pulls off a stunner.
Drop us a line in the comments and let us know why you think Paul Goldschmidt should take home the NL MVP crown!
[Flyer courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks]
- How the Diamondbacks Landed in Baseball’s Toughest Situation and Don’t Have a Clear Way Out
- 2017 Spring Previews: Filling Up the Outfield
- 2017 Spring Preview: All the (New) Catchers
- Archie Bradley, Taijuan Walker, and Four-Seam Fastballs
- 2017 Spring Preview: Fun and Uncertainty in the D-backs’ Infield
- 2017 Spring Preview: Starting Pitching Showcases Depth, Questions
- The D-backs Are Trapped With Tomas
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @nickpiecoro: Morning at Salt River Fields https://t.co/N7J4v8kgX6, Feb 20
- RT @ojcarrasco: The Pool Shot 64: @ryanpmorrison & @OutfieldGrass24 go to the mall, Ryan gets lost, Jeff gets a corn dog. https://t.co/fcl5Y66yHH, Feb 19
- RT @jcrasnick: How is former #Rangers 1B Prince Fielder dealing with retirement? He's hosting a cooking show. https://t.co/LaNJTrvmHP, Feb 10
- #AmericasFirstBaseman https://t.co/apnoVp5gzG, Jan 04
- But, he'd probably rather make $119M/4 years with LAA than not play in MLB ever again. https://t.co/xT9Ijajown, Jan 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- Knock knock knockin on heaven's door https://t.co/i7W03458xO, 4 hours ago
- Old friend alert https://t.co/jkPyKMBYT3, 4 hours ago
- Haven't seen this view at sunrise in a long time @ Downtown Los Angeles https://t.co/PfWnnr0bJX, Feb 23
- FWIW, no MLB hitter in 2016 hit a ball 108mph and had it travel that far. Mark Reynolds (484) and Tom Murphy (482)… https://t.co/vCrnM7zb4N, Feb 23
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).