Well, the hot stove has officially been sparked in Arizona.
Kevin Towers wasted no time getting things going by claiming utility man Matt Tuiasosopo from the Detroit Tigers. The former top Mariner prospect made his major league debut back in 2008 but was usually jettisoned back to the minors in no time. 2013 was his first full major league season and made good use of it, hitting .244/.351/.415 over 81 games (he spent considerable time on the DL), good for a 114 wRC+. He was on fire for the first few months of the season before getting injured and cooling off. He hit seven home runs over 191 at-bats and has always had some raw power.
He may be Eric Chavez‘ replacement, and here’s why: he can play third, he can play first and he hits right-handed pitching extremely well, which is weird because he’s right-handed himself. In fact, throughout his career, he’s always had a reverse platoon-split. As a bonus, Tuiasosopo is a useful left fielder, giving Towers and Gibson even more roster flexibility. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you’d like the lineup constructed, but the newest Diamondback will come off the bench the majority of the time and is a quality utility piece. In the meantime, we’ll have to see what this means for Chavez.
My feeling is that the team will try to bring Chavez back and stick Tuiasosopo in Reno as a quality insurance policy. That’s probably the best scenario here. If they can’t get Chavez re-signed, then Tuiasosopo may fill the void that Chavez leaves. Stay tuned on this one.
The acquisition of Tuiasosopo isn’t the only Diamondbacks transaction today, however. The Rangers claimed RHP Chaz Roe from Arizona this morning. Roe is a big righty who finally made his major league debut last season with Arizona after passing through the minor league organizations of Colorado and Seattle. He’s was excellent at recording strikeouts but walked too many batters to be truly effective. Roe will move on to his fourth organization since being drafted 32nd overall by the Rockies back in 2005.
With the likes of Barrett and Stites waiting in the wings as the future of the Arizona bullpen, this is not a significant loss. Roe was pretty fringy as a player and he’ll get a chance to change that in Arlington. If he can ever iron out the control issues, he may turn into something. Of course, there’s a strong chance we’ll never hear his name again, too, so there’s that.
Kevin Towers is clearly off his Halloween candy hangover and is making moves, so keep an eye out for what may be around the corner.
The Pool ShotEpisode 37 of The Pool Shot: The guys talk about no-win situations and, on a completely unrelated note, the D-backs rotation. The surprising move of Randall Delgado to the rotation in lieu of an Aaron Blair promotion, sizing up the team's internal options for next year, and working through the ways in which the rotation can be upgraded. Subscribe on iTunes!
Midseason Top 10 Prospects
It's here: the Inside the 'Zona Midseason Top 10 Prospects List, including recent trade additions and 2015 draftees.
- Diminished Plate Discipline is Undoing Nick Ahmed
- As Hitters Figure Out Daniel Hudson, a Challenging Puzzle Looms
- Reed Traded; the Kevin Towers Closer Era Ends
- Roundup: Coming Around on Saltalamacchia; David Peralta Getting Noticed; Goldy Something Else
- D-backs Changing Robbie Ray for the Worse
- Westbrook, Diaz and Others Gaining Momentum in the Minors
- Jake Lamb Should be Playing Against (Some) Lefties
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @EdwardFShore: @ryanpmorrison ...and after TWO Tommy John surgeries. Seriously. We don't talk enough about how remarkable that is. @DHuddy41 is a dude., 18 hours ago
- Daniel Hudson's "100 mph fastball" in Game 1 was tracked by PITCHf/x at 99.6 mph, rounded up. Still -- fastest tracked pitch of his career., 18 hours ago
- A pox on a Royal house seems Shakespearean, but being 13 games up tends to stave off tragedies... https://t.co/hebmiIW6Mx, 22 hours ago
- #Rays 1st rd pick and all around awesome guy Garrett Whitley just missed this one off #RedSox lefty Javier Rodriguez http://t.co/ykk43FEh9n, Aug 31
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If I were president, I'd name all mountains after hop varietals and wine grapes and anyone who didn't like it could drink an O'Douls., Aug 31
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @BPMilwaukee: New @BPMilwaukee || What Has Gone Right In 2015 http://t.co/6Vbvyh6ztL (#Brewers), 2 hours ago
- RT @si_mlb: For quietly improved @Dbacks, contention may come sooner than you think (by @SI_BenReiter) http://t.co/pAdC4KGjUV http://t.co/bOWaS42iWW, 2 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: #Dbacks will be well represented in @MLBazFallLeague: http://t.co/qbVmVuHfCc http://t.co/KcgIF6wRnJ, 2 hours ago
- RT @MinorLeagueBall: Who is new Arizona Diamondbacks eliever Silvino Bracho? by Jake Rashkow http://t.co/4mxJq2hojY http://t.co/1t0iBpvdoq, 3 hours ago
- #Dbacks RHP Aaron Blair pitched like a guy who's pissed he hasn't been called up: 8IP, 5K, 2BB, 4H, 1ER for @Aces yesterday. #FreeBlair, 3 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).