Well, the hot stove has officially been sparked in Arizona.
Kevin Towers wasted no time getting things going by claiming utility man Matt Tuiasosopo from the Detroit Tigers. The former top Mariner prospect made his major league debut back in 2008 but was usually jettisoned back to the minors in no time. 2013 was his first full major league season and made good use of it, hitting .244/.351/.415 over 81 games (he spent considerable time on the DL), good for a 114 wRC+. He was on fire for the first few months of the season before getting injured and cooling off. He hit seven home runs over 191 at-bats and has always had some raw power.
He may be Eric Chavez‘ replacement, and here’s why: he can play third, he can play first and he hits right-handed pitching extremely well, which is weird because he’s right-handed himself. In fact, throughout his career, he’s always had a reverse platoon-split. As a bonus, Tuiasosopo is a useful left fielder, giving Towers and Gibson even more roster flexibility. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you’d like the lineup constructed, but the newest Diamondback will come off the bench the majority of the time and is a quality utility piece. In the meantime, we’ll have to see what this means for Chavez.
My feeling is that the team will try to bring Chavez back and stick Tuiasosopo in Reno as a quality insurance policy. That’s probably the best scenario here. If they can’t get Chavez re-signed, then Tuiasosopo may fill the void that Chavez leaves. Stay tuned on this one.
The acquisition of Tuiasosopo isn’t the only Diamondbacks transaction today, however. The Rangers claimed RHP Chaz Roe from Arizona this morning. Roe is a big righty who finally made his major league debut last season with Arizona after passing through the minor league organizations of Colorado and Seattle. He’s was excellent at recording strikeouts but walked too many batters to be truly effective. Roe will move on to his fourth organization since being drafted 32nd overall by the Rockies back in 2005.
With the likes of Barrett and Stites waiting in the wings as the future of the Arizona bullpen, this is not a significant loss. Roe was pretty fringy as a player and he’ll get a chance to change that in Arlington. If he can ever iron out the control issues, he may turn into something. Of course, there’s a strong chance we’ll never hear his name again, too, so there’s that.
Kevin Towers is clearly off his Halloween candy hangover and is making moves, so keep an eye out for what may be around the corner.
- The Smart D-backs/Phillies Bonus Slot Trade and Lessons to Learn
- Recent Draft Picks Making an Impression in Rookie Ball
- Welington Castillo Makes Choice Between Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Oscar Hernandez Clear
- New International Signs Debut for the Diamondbacks
- Robbie Ray Doing it His Way With Fly Balls and a Fourth (or Fifth) Pitch
- An Open Letter to Commissioner Manfred on Selling Teams and Selling Prospects
- The Touki Toussaint Trade Discussion w/ Special Guest Mauricio Rubio
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @Matt_Winkelman: @OutfieldGrass24 @ryanpmorrison Josh Taylor has some warts, but he is a big lefty who can touch 95 and has almost no mileage on him, 8 hours ago
- On the #Dbacks-#Phillies bonus slot trade, and int'l amateur lessons for the future from #Cubs, #Dodgers, #RedSox http://t.co/OzgRWsefkG, 9 hours ago
- RT @enosarris: Ender Inciarte is two completely different hitters depending on the handedness of pitcher. Road map to bust splits? http://t.co/DdHsEKrsiQ, 13 hours ago
- RT @GammonsDaily: 'Paul Goldschmidt, Speed Demon' by @DavidGolebiewsk http://t.co/53xFtaKtav #Diamondbacks, 15 hours ago
- RT @SportsJunkie854: This standings chart for the DBacks is pretty amusing. @ryanpmorrison @OutfieldGrass24 http://t.co/vVkWU5Xp42, Jul 06
Powered by: Web Designers
- Never good when your internal dialogue is "could really use a triple play here." #Mariners, 2 hours ago
- I am starting to hate Logan Morrison less these days., 2 hours ago
- RT @jaysonst: No Cueto. No Kershaw. No Hamels. No Storen. No Familia. No Ziegler. Tough job picking that NL all-star pitching staff. Huh?, 6 hours ago
- #ActionJackson making it happen! About damn time he got some publicity. You're sleeping on a star, baseball. https://t.co/VhTW61zhAy, 7 hours ago
- Get to know the two prospects the #Dbacks acquired Sunday in exchange for Int'l Bonus Pool money (via @mattwinkle46): http://t.co/MjXroVdSdl, 8 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).