Well, the hot stove has officially been sparked in Arizona.
Kevin Towers wasted no time getting things going by claiming utility man Matt Tuiasosopo from the Detroit Tigers. The former top Mariner prospect made his major league debut back in 2008 but was usually jettisoned back to the minors in no time. 2013 was his first full major league season and made good use of it, hitting .244/.351/.415 over 81 games (he spent considerable time on the DL), good for a 114 wRC+. He was on fire for the first few months of the season before getting injured and cooling off. He hit seven home runs over 191 at-bats and has always had some raw power.
He may be Eric Chavez‘ replacement, and here’s why: he can play third, he can play first and he hits right-handed pitching extremely well, which is weird because he’s right-handed himself. In fact, throughout his career, he’s always had a reverse platoon-split. As a bonus, Tuiasosopo is a useful left fielder, giving Towers and Gibson even more roster flexibility. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you’d like the lineup constructed, but the newest Diamondback will come off the bench the majority of the time and is a quality utility piece. In the meantime, we’ll have to see what this means for Chavez.
My feeling is that the team will try to bring Chavez back and stick Tuiasosopo in Reno as a quality insurance policy. That’s probably the best scenario here. If they can’t get Chavez re-signed, then Tuiasosopo may fill the void that Chavez leaves. Stay tuned on this one.
The acquisition of Tuiasosopo isn’t the only Diamondbacks transaction today, however. The Rangers claimed RHP Chaz Roe from Arizona this morning. Roe is a big righty who finally made his major league debut last season with Arizona after passing through the minor league organizations of Colorado and Seattle. He’s was excellent at recording strikeouts but walked too many batters to be truly effective. Roe will move on to his fourth organization since being drafted 32nd overall by the Rockies back in 2005.
With the likes of Barrett and Stites waiting in the wings as the future of the Arizona bullpen, this is not a significant loss. Roe was pretty fringy as a player and he’ll get a chance to change that in Arlington. If he can ever iron out the control issues, he may turn into something. Of course, there’s a strong chance we’ll never hear his name again, too, so there’s that.
Kevin Towers is clearly off his Halloween candy hangover and is making moves, so keep an eye out for what may be around the corner.
Offseason Report Card
• Zack Greinke signing
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz and cash
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Tyler Clippard signing
- Double Plus: Out of the Schedule Woods Atop Mount Five Hundred
- Double Plus: Friday Fun Facts (Or Not)
- What Happened to Silvino Bracho?
- Maybe Contact Management Pitching Doesn’t Work in Arizona
- Smoothing Out the Seams: Fastball Woes Weighing Down the Rotation
- Jean Segura Goes HAM (For Now?)
- What the Chase Anderson Repertoire Change, Early Success Means for Shelby Miller
Powered by: Web Designers
- It's happening https://t.co/65jm9eHVuj, 17 hours ago
- One more Cards game. Per projected standings at Fangraphs, strength of schedule by month for the #Dbacks: https://t.co/TMSDIueqE7, 19 hours ago
- 2011-2015 David Robertson: 2.44 ERA, 321.1 IP, 6.46 REW Brad Ziegler: 2.44 ERA, 335.0 IP, 6.71 REW Robertson fWAR: 9.3 Ziegler fWAR: 2.9, 20 hours ago
- Seung-Hwan Oh came into this game with a whiff rate of over 47% of swings on his fourseam. Not hard to see why., Apr 28
- Pretty sure Wainwright and Molina shared some credit for this strikeout with a guy wearing blue... https://t.co/m8EjjXSRgr, Apr 28
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @bradfo: LHP Edwin Escobar was claimed off waivers today by the Arizona Diamondbacks., 39 mins ago
- RT @FOX10Phoenix: 50% off Pit Bull adoptions courtesy of anonymous @azhumane donor! https://t.co/AA9IYVqQcu, 2 hours ago
- Ten #Dbacks Friday Fun Facts (Or Not): https://t.co/Pi9qqFyp1a, 2 hours ago
- RT @NateAderhold: That's... that's not how that works https://t.co/oIQBNVIrVe, 2 hours ago
- RT @ShutdownInning: Long-standing cause from former #Rangers reliever @Ross_108 and wife @Britt_Ross108 - website launched today: https://t.co/Xjo7Q1tsHp, 2 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).