Well, the hot stove has officially been sparked in Arizona.
Kevin Towers wasted no time getting things going by claiming utility man Matt Tuiasosopo from the Detroit Tigers. The former top Mariner prospect made his major league debut back in 2008 but was usually jettisoned back to the minors in no time. 2013 was his first full major league season and made good use of it, hitting .244/.351/.415 over 81 games (he spent considerable time on the DL), good for a 114 wRC+. He was on fire for the first few months of the season before getting injured and cooling off. He hit seven home runs over 191 at-bats and has always had some raw power.
He may be Eric Chavez‘ replacement, and here’s why: he can play third, he can play first and he hits right-handed pitching extremely well, which is weird because he’s right-handed himself. In fact, throughout his career, he’s always had a reverse platoon-split. As a bonus, Tuiasosopo is a useful left fielder, giving Towers and Gibson even more roster flexibility. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you’d like the lineup constructed, but the newest Diamondback will come off the bench the majority of the time and is a quality utility piece. In the meantime, we’ll have to see what this means for Chavez.
My feeling is that the team will try to bring Chavez back and stick Tuiasosopo in Reno as a quality insurance policy. That’s probably the best scenario here. If they can’t get Chavez re-signed, then Tuiasosopo may fill the void that Chavez leaves. Stay tuned on this one.
The acquisition of Tuiasosopo isn’t the only Diamondbacks transaction today, however. The Rangers claimed RHP Chaz Roe from Arizona this morning. Roe is a big righty who finally made his major league debut last season with Arizona after passing through the minor league organizations of Colorado and Seattle. He’s was excellent at recording strikeouts but walked too many batters to be truly effective. Roe will move on to his fourth organization since being drafted 32nd overall by the Rockies back in 2005.
With the likes of Barrett and Stites waiting in the wings as the future of the Arizona bullpen, this is not a significant loss. Roe was pretty fringy as a player and he’ll get a chance to change that in Arlington. If he can ever iron out the control issues, he may turn into something. Of course, there’s a strong chance we’ll never hear his name again, too, so there’s that.
Kevin Towers is clearly off his Halloween candy hangover and is making moves, so keep an eye out for what may be around the corner.
The Pool Shot
Offseason Report Card
• Zack Greinke signing
• Shelby Miller and Gabe Speier for Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair
• Jean Segura and Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz and cash
• Jeremy Hellickson for Sam McWilliams
• Chris Herrmann for Daniel Palka
• Tyler Clippard signing
- Robbie Ray Breaking Balls
- Damn Daniel: Hudson Shoeing a New Approach Against Righties
- One Weird Trick to Fix Nick Ahmed!
- D-backs 40 Man Roster Weighted Toward Trades, In a Good Way
- Were the Projections Right About the D-backs All Along?
- Move Paul Goldschmidt in the Batting Order: Up, Not Down
- Why Nick Ahmed is Better Hitting Ninth
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @nickpiecoro: Hale said Nick Ahmed seems to be OK, other than the seam marks on his chin., 12 hours ago
- RT @SteveGilbertMLB: #Dbacks mgr Chip Hale says if #Pirates Caminero can't control those pitches he shouldn't be in big leagues., 12 hours ago
- Early August, 2014, at FanGraphs. Not that you need help remembering. https://t.co/aHsclk2xFR, 12 hours ago
- Tried to walk it off, but: that's just fucked up, @Pirates. Fucked up., 12 hours ago
- This Pirates team can hit... I read in the ESPN Power Rankings this week that they were 4th in MLB in OPS (but 3rd in NL Central)., 15 hours ago
Powered by: Web Designers
- Puig pimped the shit out of that single. #notsurprised, 11 hours ago
- At a dodger game texting about the #Dbacks. #priorities https://t.co/SG5vTEt1DQ, 12 hours ago
- As Chafin's ERA goes over seven, gotta think Daniel Gibson's looking more attractive. #Dbacks, 13 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: In May, the #Dbacks lead the National League in average, hits & triples and rank 2nd in doubles & OPS. https://t.co/yrmAKvw8aK, 16 hours ago
- RT @nickpiecoro: Chip Hale said David Peralta has started swinging, could play in extended spring training games soon. Aiming for possible return next week., 18 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).