The Yoan Lopez signing marks a sea change for the D-backs organization. Is it a commitment to searching out talent from every corner, or is it the exact opposite? On Episode 12 of The Pool Shot, the guys talk through the Lopez signing: his worth and whether he was worth the price, and how they can minimize the opportunity cost of signing him.
But the D-backs front office made the news in some other, less flattering ways, as well. On the podcast, Jeff and Ryan also discuss a series of curious comments from GM Dave Stewart last week, including the curiousness of making the comments in the first place. Why is the team putting an end to its search for a catcher and saying so, and is that even true? Do the D-backs truly expect that they might land James Shields because they are more of a “true baseball team,” despite the fact that it was the Rays’ emphasis on statistics that made Shields an elite pitcher? Does the team actually expect to shed more payroll after signing Lopez to a record bonus for an international amateur?
- Diamondbacks 2018 Draft Thoughts
- Baseball Prospectus is Coming to Chase Field — Join Us!
- Ketel Marte Wins, Diamondbacks Win, Baseball Maybe Doesn’t
- New Ventures and Familiar Places
- How Big is the Souza/Martinez Gap with a Humidor Installed?
- Doubting Tomás: The Trouble with Finding Yasmany Playing Time
- D-backs Miss Martinez, Add Souza and Stay Flexible
Powered by: Web Designers
- Best part of Peralta’s 108 mph fliner over the fence, IMHO: that he got that much leverage despite scooping it out… https://t.co/ivBrl76adF, Apr 08
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If you're bored of watching Patrick Corbin get dudes out, you can check out my latest for @TheAthleticAZ. https://t.co/k1DymgY7zO, Apr 04
- Of course, they may have overtaken the league lead for outs on the bases just now, also... But in 2017, Arizona ha… https://t.co/38MBrr2D4b, Apr 04
- Prior to the games today, there had only been 5 steals of 3rd this season (and no CS) in the National League. The… https://t.co/gVVL84vPQ5, Apr 04
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Patrick Corbin has a WPA of .318 and it's only the fifth inning., Apr 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- NW peeps, this is worthy of a look https://t.co/R1ccr3da1D, 9 hours ago
- #Dbacks have a pair on this list https://t.co/PPZSmUE9xb, 9 hours ago
- RT @vinnielongopbp: RHP Randall Delgado strikes out a pair and works around a lead-off single in a rehab appearance for #GenerationDbacks., 10 hours ago
- RT @jacobgrier: The Portland airport bathroom is great for when you want to sample an artisanal, hand-selected flight of air dryers. https://t.co/vJZiobkuwI, Jun 05
- Madison Bumlincecum, 11 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).