The Yoan Lopez signing marks a sea change for the D-backs organization. Is it a commitment to searching out talent from every corner, or is it the exact opposite? On Episode 12 of The Pool Shot, the guys talk through the Lopez signing: his worth and whether he was worth the price, and how they can minimize the opportunity cost of signing him.
But the D-backs front office made the news in some other, less flattering ways, as well. On the podcast, Jeff and Ryan also discuss a series of curious comments from GM Dave Stewart last week, including the curiousness of making the comments in the first place. Why is the team putting an end to its search for a catcher and saying so, and is that even true? Do the D-backs truly expect that they might land James Shields because they are more of a “true baseball team,” despite the fact that it was the Rays’ emphasis on statistics that made Shields an elite pitcher? Does the team actually expect to shed more payroll after signing Lopez to a record bonus for an international amateur?
- How Might Baseball’s New Market Impact the D-backs?
- Extending Paul Goldschmidt Won’t Be Easy (Part II)
- Re-Signing Paul Goldschmidt Won’t Be Easy (Part I)
- It Was a Hell Of a Run
- Is This What Success Feels Like?
- Work In Progress: Jimmie Sherfy’s Path to the Majors
- Finding the Cash to Keep J.D. Martinez Won’t Be Easy
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- I don't know anything about Lauri Makkanen but he's my new favorite player https://t.co/ScGwx4ff2H, 29 mins ago
- We're seeing a marked change in how teams are valuing free agents. If there's a shift to how MLB does business to c… https://t.co/7U4RB9sdWL, 31 mins ago
- RT @leonhard14: Sitting at work when the home security alerts me to "spotting a person" in the living room. Nope, just a 20 lb cat. Thanks for that., 22 hours ago
- I get the panic over the free agent market. I'm conflicted in that the deals guys want, and aren't getting, are th… https://t.co/OILWah46WR, Jan 17
- Will the signing of Brian Duensing open up the free agent logjam? My column:, Jan 17
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).