The Yoan Lopez signing marks a sea change for the D-backs organization. Is it a commitment to searching out talent from every corner, or is it the exact opposite? On Episode 12 of The Pool Shot, the guys talk through the Lopez signing: his worth and whether he was worth the price, and how they can minimize the opportunity cost of signing him.
But the D-backs front office made the news in some other, less flattering ways, as well. On the podcast, Jeff and Ryan also discuss a series of curious comments from GM Dave Stewart last week, including the curiousness of making the comments in the first place. Why is the team putting an end to its search for a catcher and saying so, and is that even true? Do the D-backs truly expect that they might land James Shields because they are more of a “true baseball team,” despite the fact that it was the Rays’ emphasis on statistics that made Shields an elite pitcher? Does the team actually expect to shed more payroll after signing Lopez to a record bonus for an international amateur?
- Early Reflections on the Jean Segura/Taijuan Walker Trade
- Pollock’s DL Stint Costs D-backs Little, For Now
- D-backs Pitchers Keeping Home Runs In-Check
- Hot Bats and Predicting the Future
- Playing the Long Game: How Can the D-backs Afford to Compete?
- Lineout: Is Fernando Rodney This Bad?
- Early D-backs MiLB Standouts Include Wilson, Duplantier, Lugo, Clarke and More
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- EEPHUS, 9 hours ago
- RT @SteveGilbertMLB: #Dbacks mgr Torey Lovullo explains decision to start Randall Delgado on Wed, plus info a cow-milking contest. https://t.co/qIaKVjBw3V, 11 hours ago
- Yo @prestonthomas31 https://t.co/g1szWyRnh7, 12 hours ago
- Irresponsibly early question: who won the Jean Segura/Taijuan Walker swap? This one's not close to over, but it is… https://t.co/IlBItv8kTc, 12 hours ago
- RT @AndrewGreif: One of the hardest workers I've ever been around. Whoever scoops up BG will be very, very lucky. https://t.co/ENdN8rdJZb, 15 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).