The six year, $206 million terms agreed on between the D-backs and Zack Greinke is a shock. The fact that Zack Greinke signed with the D-backs at all is a shock. But the signing is not hard to understand. Due to the talent levels of players up and down the roster, it was going to be very hard to upgrade this team in any way other than with very good pitching — in the rotation most of all. It was also critical that the D-backs actually upgrade this team — they’ve already committed to this 2016-2017 hand of poker. From a practical standpoint, they were already all-in.
It’s just that they still had money to spend. On this episode of The Pool Shot, we started off talking about the uniforms, including whether or not they actually create a competitive advantage. From there on, we get into reaction to the Greinke signing and all of the many things that means, including where the D-backs go from here.
We bounced around a lot, with the help of some great questions. Among the topics we worked through:
- Whether the D-backs are still in need of upgrades, and where those could be
- Whether a Sonny Gray trade could still make sense, including a great @coldblueAZ comment on whether a Gray / A.J. Pollock swap could make sense
- The possibility of upgrades by trade, given the assets the team can move (thanks, @MythicalBen)
- Whether Kenta Maeda could still be a target, and whether he should be (thanks, @Nopich)
- In light of the Offseason Plan conclusion that Scott Kazmir was a great fit in part because of expected contract length, whether he still makes sense given the changing starting pitcher market
- The D-backs’ starting pitching surplus, and what to do with it
- Revisiting the Touki Toussaint sale (thanks, @JHGrimm)
- Payroll considerations for 2016 and for the end of the Contention Window, and whether the team has to be overly vigilant in limiting spending with complementary players
- An A.J. Pollock extension strategy
- Whether Yasmany Tomas must or should be traded, and whether Paul Goldschmidt will be a lifetime D-back (thanks, @MSteill)
- How the post-Contention Window period affects the team now (thanks, @SThompson20)
And, yes, @dbacks4life13 — although we did question reality throughout this episode, it does in fact look like this is real life.
Thanks for all the Twitter questions, everyone. Anything we missed, we’ll get next time. Tons of great thoughts, and that’s what makes baseball so, so amazing. Remember: if you have something that would be interesting to work through, you don’t need to wait for us to solicit questions — just shoot a tweet @thepoolshot, and we’ll have it handy for the next episode.
Powered by: Web Designers
- Best part of Peralta’s 108 mph fliner over the fence, IMHO: that he got that much leverage despite scooping it out… https://t.co/ivBrl76adF, Apr 08
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If you're bored of watching Patrick Corbin get dudes out, you can check out my latest for @TheAthleticAZ. https://t.co/k1DymgY7zO, Apr 04
- Of course, they may have overtaken the league lead for outs on the bases just now, also... But in 2017, Arizona ha… https://t.co/38MBrr2D4b, Apr 04
- Prior to the games today, there had only been 5 steals of 3rd this season (and no CS) in the National League. The… https://t.co/gVVL84vPQ5, Apr 04
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Patrick Corbin has a WPA of .318 and it's only the fifth inning., Apr 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- This Suns matchup comes at a good time for my hometown Blazers #RipCity https://t.co/fQ45wdfQUk, 6 hours ago
- RT @ZHBuchanan: Our @Ken_Rosenthal spoke to Ken Kendrick about trading Paul Goldschmidt. https://t.co/O5fHRlyBxD, 13 hours ago
- RT @CardsNation247: We have a good show lined up for tonight. Leading off is our friend of the show @buffa82 followed by Jeff Wiser… https://t.co/eltZC0uvyg, 13 hours ago
- RT @juanctoribio: To piggyback off the @ZHBuchanan and @OutfieldGrass24 that the #Rays were involved in the Paul Goldschmidt sweepsta… https://t.co/spg9x7X1L5, 13 hours ago
- RT @OJCarrascoTwo: Read this from the world famous, @OutfieldGrass24 https://t.co/cHUie1I5Le, 13 hours ago