The biggest news in quite some time was Saturday’s deal with the Braves in which the Diamondbacks shipped away Bronson Arroyo‘s remaining dollars to the Atlanta Braves for infielder Phil Gosselin. Of course, to get Atlanta to swallow Arroyo’s money, the D-backs threw in 2014 top draft pick Touki Toussaint, which drew a ton of criticism across the baseball landscape. We issued our treatise on the deal on Monday, but a fruitful discussion was in order to clear the air and discuss the possibilities.
With the help of Mauricio Rubio of BaseballProspectus.com, who’s scouted Toussaint personally a number of times, the we talked about what Toussaint’s future holds, his development path and what his future value will be. Mauricio gives a ton of detail on Touki’s pitches, his development arc and when Toussaint should be expected in the majors. We collectively look forward as to what the team will do next with the savings on Arroyo and how all of that fits into the big picture of a contending Arizona Diamondbacks team.
Given Mauricio’s scouting background, the we also discussed several other top prospects, including Braden Shipley, Aaron Blair, Brandon Drury, Peter O’Brien, Yoan Lopez and others. We also discuss what the new top of Diamondbacks prospects look like, including how top 2015 draft picks Dansby Swanson and Alex Young fit into the mix. Don’t miss this one as Mauricio’s scouting background enriches a conversation about the depth and strategy of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
You can find Mauricio’s writing and scouting reports at BaseballProspectus.com, as well as his podcasts on prospects (Raw Projection) and fantasy baseball (TINO). You can follow Mauricio on twitter at @MRubio52.
- Ketel Marte Wins, Diamondbacks Win, Baseball Maybe Doesn’t
- New Ventures and Familiar Places
- How Big is the Souza/Martinez Gap with a Humidor Installed?
- Doubting Tomás: The Trouble with Finding Yasmany Playing Time
- D-backs Miss Martinez, Add Souza and Stay Flexible
- D-backs Prospects Through the Years (Part 2)
- D-Backs Prospects Through the Years (Part 1)
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @ojcarrasco: It’s a Ketel One Marte Partay. I’m told this is an alcohol, I’m not told if it is delicious. I can tell you that th… https://t.co/l7HFbqRWra, 4 hours ago
- My take on Ketel Marte's deal since @prestonhops said he'd fire me if I didn't write it and I can't be getting fire… https://t.co/rJxkGduBt7, 4 hours ago
- Seahawks should just bench Russel Wilson against the Rams imo, 5 hours ago
- RT @mirtle: ICYMI: Here is an outstanding promo we're running for #OpeningDay https://t.co/FL9Sid5dHg, 11 hours ago
- RT @ZHBuchanan: The breakdown of Ketel Marte's extension, per a source: $2M signing bonus 18: $1M 19: $2M 20: $4M 21: $6M 22: $8M… https://t.co/ikb7KjWjzF, 7 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).