The biggest news in quite some time was Saturday’s deal with the Braves in which the Diamondbacks shipped away Bronson Arroyo‘s remaining dollars to the Atlanta Braves for infielder Phil Gosselin. Of course, to get Atlanta to swallow Arroyo’s money, the D-backs threw in 2014 top draft pick Touki Toussaint, which drew a ton of criticism across the baseball landscape. We issued our treatise on the deal on Monday, but a fruitful discussion was in order to clear the air and discuss the possibilities.
With the help of Mauricio Rubio of BaseballProspectus.com, who’s scouted Toussaint personally a number of times, the we talked about what Toussaint’s future holds, his development path and what his future value will be. Mauricio gives a ton of detail on Touki’s pitches, his development arc and when Toussaint should be expected in the majors. We collectively look forward as to what the team will do next with the savings on Arroyo and how all of that fits into the big picture of a contending Arizona Diamondbacks team.
Given Mauricio’s scouting background, the we also discussed several other top prospects, including Braden Shipley, Aaron Blair, Brandon Drury, Peter O’Brien, Yoan Lopez and others. We also discuss what the new top of Diamondbacks prospects look like, including how top 2015 draft picks Dansby Swanson and Alex Young fit into the mix. Don’t miss this one as Mauricio’s scouting background enriches a conversation about the depth and strategy of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
You can find Mauricio’s writing and scouting reports at BaseballProspectus.com, as well as his podcasts on prospects (Raw Projection) and fantasy baseball (TINO). You can follow Mauricio on twitter at @MRubio52.
- Diamondbacks 2018 Draft Thoughts
- Baseball Prospectus is Coming to Chase Field — Join Us!
- Ketel Marte Wins, Diamondbacks Win, Baseball Maybe Doesn’t
- New Ventures and Familiar Places
- How Big is the Souza/Martinez Gap with a Humidor Installed?
- Doubting Tomás: The Trouble with Finding Yasmany Playing Time
- D-backs Miss Martinez, Add Souza and Stay Flexible
Powered by: Web Designers
- Best part of Peralta’s 108 mph fliner over the fence, IMHO: that he got that much leverage despite scooping it out… https://t.co/ivBrl76adF, Apr 08
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: If you're bored of watching Patrick Corbin get dudes out, you can check out my latest for @TheAthleticAZ. https://t.co/k1DymgY7zO, Apr 04
- Of course, they may have overtaken the league lead for outs on the bases just now, also... But in 2017, Arizona ha… https://t.co/38MBrr2D4b, Apr 04
- Prior to the games today, there had only been 5 steals of 3rd this season (and no CS) in the National League. The… https://t.co/gVVL84vPQ5, Apr 04
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: Patrick Corbin has a WPA of .318 and it's only the fifth inning., Apr 04
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @SteveGilbertMLB: #Rockies plunk Goldschmidt with a pitch in the ninth. I think that's the maddest I've ever seen him on a baseball f… https://t.co/bCMajSjq1D, 2 hours ago
- RT @ZHBuchanan: Paul Goldschmidt was just hit by a Brooks Pounders pitch and turned to say something to Tony Wolters about it., 2 hours ago
- I'm glad I got that Daniel-Descalso-carrying-the-offense article written last week because it looks like Paul Golds… https://t.co/TczoQG8wfu, 4 hours ago
- RT @Dbacks: We're noticing a trend here. #GoldschmidtHappens https://t.co/2EdjsVMBVp, 5 hours ago
- Massive opposite field home runs >>> https://t.co/5GzSJuivrc, 5 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).