The biggest news in quite some time was Saturday’s deal with the Braves in which the Diamondbacks shipped away Bronson Arroyo‘s remaining dollars to the Atlanta Braves for infielder Phil Gosselin. Of course, to get Atlanta to swallow Arroyo’s money, the D-backs threw in 2014 top draft pick Touki Toussaint, which drew a ton of criticism across the baseball landscape. We issued our treatise on the deal on Monday, but a fruitful discussion was in order to clear the air and discuss the possibilities.
With the help of Mauricio Rubio of BaseballProspectus.com, who’s scouted Toussaint personally a number of times, the we talked about what Toussaint’s future holds, his development path and what his future value will be. Mauricio gives a ton of detail on Touki’s pitches, his development arc and when Toussaint should be expected in the majors. We collectively look forward as to what the team will do next with the savings on Arroyo and how all of that fits into the big picture of a contending Arizona Diamondbacks team.
Given Mauricio’s scouting background, the we also discussed several other top prospects, including Braden Shipley, Aaron Blair, Brandon Drury, Peter O’Brien, Yoan Lopez and others. We also discuss what the new top of Diamondbacks prospects look like, including how top 2015 draft picks Dansby Swanson and Alex Young fit into the mix. Don’t miss this one as Mauricio’s scouting background enriches a conversation about the depth and strategy of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
You can find Mauricio’s writing and scouting reports at BaseballProspectus.com, as well as his podcasts on prospects (Raw Projection) and fantasy baseball (TINO). You can follow Mauricio on twitter at @MRubio52.
- Sequencing Matters: Which D-backs Pitches are Fooling Hitters?
- Which D-backs Pitches Work Well Together?
- Taijuan Walker’s Hot Spring Has a New Look
- Zack Greinke’s Velocity is Trending in a Predictable Direction, Sadly
- Statcast and a New Era for Evaluation
- 2017 Spring Preview: A Wide Open Bullpen
- How the Diamondbacks Landed in Baseball’s Toughest Situation and Don’t Have a Clear Way Out
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @nickpiecoro: Morning at Salt River Fields https://t.co/N7J4v8kgX6, Feb 20
- RT @jcrasnick: How is former #Rangers 1B Prince Fielder dealing with retirement? He's hosting a cooking show. https://t.co/LaNJTrvmHP, Feb 10
- #AmericasFirstBaseman https://t.co/apnoVp5gzG, Jan 04
- But, he'd probably rather make $119M/4 years with LAA than not play in MLB ever again. https://t.co/xT9Ijajown, Jan 04
- RT @mlbtrdbacks: Royals Acquire Peter O’Brien From Diamondbacks https://t.co/BrvTYesPxG #dbacks #mlb, Jan 03
Powered by: Web Designers
- #RelationshipGoals https://t.co/Ge95yhunV1, 2 hours ago
- RT @InsidetheZona: New at Inside the 'Zona: Sequencing Matters: Which D-backs Pitches are Fooling Hitters? https://t.co/WmpKnjrmhm, 5 hours ago
- RT @MichaelMcD8393: @OutfieldGrass24 might have figured out why Ray has short outings most of the time. https://t.co/AreFVvGUeS, 3 hours ago
- Eye Pee Aye https://t.co/IT98RnfkYH, 3 hours ago
- RT @ericroseberry: I interviewed Dayn Perry (@daynperry) of @CBSSportsMLB for the latest episode of On Baseball Writing. https://t.co/TCL1zIgRCw, 3 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).