By now you’ve heard of the “Shot Heard ‘Round the Desert.” Of course I’m referring to the massive home run hit by OF/1B Peter O’Brien earlier this week. It was massive. In fact, it was more than massive. According to Thesaurus.com, I could have used words like colossal, gargantuan, gigantic, mammoth, towering or even elephantine. I should use elephantine more often. We should all use elephantine more often. Anyways, behold:
According to MLB Advanced Media’s Mike Petriello, it was the hardest-hit home run ball ever recorded. In the year-plus that exit velocities have been recorded only a couple of balls have been hit harder and none of them left the yard. I could go on to tell you about how O’Brien can’t catch, struggles in the outfield, etcetera, etcetera. But for now, let’s just all sit back and marvel at one of the finest home runs we will ever see. And one fan, just one guy, epitomized the whole event.
I think this fan would agree, O’Brien got all of that one.
- How Might Baseball’s New Market Impact the D-backs?
- Extending Paul Goldschmidt Won’t Be Easy (Part II)
- Re-Signing Paul Goldschmidt Won’t Be Easy (Part I)
- It Was a Hell Of a Run
- Is This What Success Feels Like?
- Work In Progress: Jimmie Sherfy’s Path to the Majors
- Finding the Cash to Keep J.D. Martinez Won’t Be Easy
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- #DryHopJanuary > #DryJanuary, 7 hours ago
- RT @NathanielGrow: My book Baseball on Trial is currently on sale for 30% off from the @IllinoisPress for the next week: https://t.co/XmiFO1W92z, 13 hours ago
- Use credit unions, people https://t.co/mGVavFRr4C, 14 hours ago
- #Dbacks right-hander Jon Duplantier checks in at No. 64 here and 1B Pavin Smith is No. 92 on Keith's list.… https://t.co/2aQVKpUdar, 14 hours ago
- My goodness this is genius! https://t.co/TQiKcfzuwl, 17 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).