By now you’ve heard of the “Shot Heard ‘Round the Desert.” Of course I’m referring to the massive home run hit by OF/1B Peter O’Brien earlier this week. It was massive. In fact, it was more than massive. According to Thesaurus.com, I could have used words like colossal, gargantuan, gigantic, mammoth, towering or even elephantine. I should use elephantine more often. We should all use elephantine more often. Anyways, behold:
According to MLB Advanced Media’s Mike Petriello, it was the hardest-hit home run ball ever recorded. In the year-plus that exit velocities have been recorded only a couple of balls have been hit harder and none of them left the yard. I could go on to tell you about how O’Brien can’t catch, struggles in the outfield, etcetera, etcetera. But for now, let’s just all sit back and marvel at one of the finest home runs we will ever see. And one fan, just one guy, epitomized the whole event.
I think this fan would agree, O’Brien got all of that one.
- D-backs Add J.D. Martinez, Subtract Very Little
- Can the D-backs Add a Big Piece at the Trade Deadline?
- 2017 D-backs Midseason Top 10 Prospects
- Just Another Advantage: D-backs Avoiding Double Plays
- Randall Delgado Putting More Pressure on Hitters
- Lineout: Don’t Forget About David Peralta
- The Playoff Push: Making the D-backs Even Stronger
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- #Dbacks really piling it on now., 2 hours ago
- Ketel Marte just hit a 100mph fastball down and about 10" off the ground for a HR., 2 hours ago
- Heck of a DP there between Owings and Marte, 2 hours ago
- Things I've never said: I should really drink more energy drinks., 3 hours ago
- Sounds weird, but Patrick Corbin just took an infield single away from Billy Hamilton, 3 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).