The Yasmany Tomás saga has been a blight for Diamondbacks fans. His maladroit play in the field coupled with some pretty frustrating at-bats has only proven to make the bad feel worse. Such obvious displays of subpar play stick in the minds of fans. Understandably so.
Things didn’t always seem so hopeless around Yasmany Tomás. As Nick Piecoro reminds us …Continue Reading →
Instead of bringing politics into baseball, I think it’s time to one-up the level of discourse that continuously leads denser segments of the population into lectures about sticking to sports. Today, I’m going to bring religion into the mix. Let’s talk for a moment about original sin. Original sin is the Christian belief that through the sin of Adam, the …Continue Reading →
It’s a bit odd to think about how this season has gone – a season of juxtapositions. There was the splashy offseason that produced an interesting team on paper mirrored by the team on the field that is contending only for the top pick in next year’s draft. There’s early season Daniel Hudson and a midsummer night’s ‘mare Daniel Hudson. …Continue Reading →
Summertime in Phoenix is not what you want. The heat is grating and aside from Pokémon Go, there is no reason to go outside. Pool water turns to bath water and by August, we’re all essentially quarantined within our concrete and air conditioned structures. It can be relatively easy for one to forget that temperatures are actually allowed to be …Continue Reading →
The Ziegler trade came and the Ziegler trade went and things had been mostly quiet on the western front. The Diamondbacks continued to play at a sub-par rate and the rumor mill looked to be stalling in production of information around a team. Possibly the most interesting developments post-Ziegler were the reports describing Chip Hale’s proverbial chair as being rather …Continue Reading →
Fun facts are a bit of a misnomer. For anyone who listens to the Effectively Wild podcast produced by Baseball Prospectus – really, you all should – this claim isn’t anything new. At their core, fun facts massage and knead history until some nugget is left that usually tricks the masses into thinking they’ve seen something special.
To start, an …Continue Reading →
If the baseball season was akin to a round of golf, the Diamondbacks would have spent Thursday at the clubhouse, refreshing their supply of balls and grabbing a quick sandwich after just finishing the first half of their round. With the team now 50% of the way through the season and heading for the back nine, now feels like an …Continue Reading →
Yeah, it’s no secret, injuries are a part of the game. They suck, we all hate them, and life would be better without them, but they are still very much there. Considering how prevalent injuries are within the game, our understanding of injuries and what causes them, especially with pitchers, still leaves a lot to be desired. About the only …Continue Reading →
In case you haven’t noticed, we here at Inside the ‘Zona have started to buy the idea of the Diamondbacks becoming sellers as things approach the second half. Last Friday, I wrote about where things went wrong this season and about the slim opening left on the window for 2016. On Wednesday, Jeff reached the next link in the chain …Continue Reading →
Weathering the storm is a term that seems to have a palpable meaning for fans. If the team can just weather the storm, things will be ok. In reality, it’s quite an incomplete sports cliché. Yes, a good team is usually one that can keep themselves afloat until the conditions turn back into their favor, but what happens after that? …Continue Reading →
The game of baseball is in very good hands. With the influx of young talent over the past several years, baseball has been lent an opportunity to turn the chapter from the awkward post-Steroid Era years and entrust the game to an exciting crop of diverse talent. Young phenoms Mike Trout, Manny Machado, Kris Bryant, Bryce Harper…Continue Reading →
Few things in life seem to make sense. Why do bad things happen to good people? What makes rational people do irrational things? How do I always manage pick the slowest checkout lane? Well, at least there’s an answer for that last question. That notwithstanding, life loves to sprinkle in little bits both of mystique and brooding.
Nevertheless, this is …Continue Reading →
In case the secret isn’t out yet, Diamondbacks starters have had a bit of a rough go of things to start the season, with home runs allowed serving as the main bugaboo – 17 allowed by the starting rotation in their first 19 games. As Ryan wrote about after the team acquired Shelby Miller, the mix of his fastballs has …Continue Reading →
- Ketel Marte Wins, Diamondbacks Win, Baseball Maybe Doesn’t
- New Ventures and Familiar Places
- How Big is the Souza/Martinez Gap with a Humidor Installed?
- Doubting Tomás: The Trouble with Finding Yasmany Playing Time
- D-backs Miss Martinez, Add Souza and Stay Flexible
- D-backs Prospects Through the Years (Part 2)
- D-Backs Prospects Through the Years (Part 1)
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @OutfieldGrass24: @ryanpmorrison https://t.co/dibanQ5aRf, Apr 07
- It finally happened! From the archives, why a humidor for Chase Field baseballs made tons of sense for 2017: https://t.co/HCgGsfNA3C, Apr 06
- It's been fun watching Real Baseball again, but I look forward to seeing the #Dbacks hitters on their Opening Day on Tuesday, Apr 02
- Re: #Dbacks broadcast comments abt value of keeping runner on second with a could-be passed ball, try EPAA and EPAA Runs, at @baseballpro, Apr 02
- #Dbacks responses needed, and I'm totes curious about the results. So get at it https://t.co/V1UxrZgtKX, Apr 02
Powered by: Web Designers
- RT @ojcarrasco: It’s a Ketel One Marte Partay. I’m told this is an alcohol, I’m not told if it is delicious. I can tell you that th… https://t.co/l7HFbqRWra, 4 hours ago
- My take on Ketel Marte's deal since @prestonhops said he'd fire me if I didn't write it and I can't be getting fire… https://t.co/rJxkGduBt7, 4 hours ago
- Seahawks should just bench Russel Wilson against the Rams imo, 5 hours ago
- RT @mirtle: ICYMI: Here is an outstanding promo we're running for #OpeningDay https://t.co/FL9Sid5dHg, 11 hours ago
- RT @ZHBuchanan: The breakdown of Ketel Marte's extension, per a source: $2M signing bonus 18: $1M 19: $2M 20: $4M 21: $6M 22: $8M… https://t.co/ikb7KjWjzF, 7 hours ago
FanGraphs Stats Glossary
Nick Piecoro Author Page
Cot's Baseball Contracts
BP Base Running Stats
Previously on The Pool Shot, the guys explained some of their favorite advanced stats. Hitting, including wRC+, HHAV and batted ball; pitching (38:00), including FIP, xFIP and SIERA; and baserunning and defense, including UBR, UZR and DRS (58:00).